[SOLVED] will fiber internet save my life?

Oct 3, 2021
so i have a loooot of problem with my internet connection

currently I'm on an ADSL internet with download at 8mb and upload at 0.5mb

my ping to the nearest battlefield 5 server is about 150 ms and that is with no one using internet at home and as soon as anyone at my home opens Instagram or anything else (just opening it) my ping goes to hell at about 300-400 ms and i get a lot more packet lost then i usually get(yes i have packet loss even when no one is using internet)

i talked to my isp about the ping and they responded that it is what it is and we cant do anything and its not our problem to solve(super rode)

and they are the best isp in my area

now part of the problem is i am too far away from the nearest phone package (those big cabinets in city that manages the phone lines) and the internet signal drops significantly because of that and i agree

but trust me it is soooo bad i cant even describe my level of rage

now i cant get a VDSL plan because there not available here yet but my isp has recently started to provide FTTH plan for home and obviously i applied on day 1 and 4 days ago they finnally installed the cabinet and told me to get a router from a company called fiberhome because they say it is the only brand that works with our equipment's so i got the best one that was available here

its not connected yet but it will be tomorrow or the day after that

i bought an unlimited plan with the base speed of 16mb and up to 200mb on both download and upload

now based on how fiber internet works

will a fiber connection save me from killing my self during a game and presumably streaming at the same time with 0 packet loss and having very low ping?

and also the thing they say about there equipment's only work with one brand of router i never heard before is actually true?

i would be very appreciated if you answer

also i just remembered that when they test the cable themselves they told something something signal integrity or line something is 15 db which is amazing and more then they expected

i think signal attenuation

i think its the amount of light loss

but is this number any good?

Solution
15mb is extremely slow for fiber solution. The method most ISP use on FTTH is called GPON which can go 2.5 gbit and the newest can go 10gbit. Now this is shared by multiple users on the same fiber but I think the maximum is something like 128 so the minimum speed should actually be much higher.

Not sure why they limit it to that slow rate.

15mbps is going to be better than what you have. It is only 2 time your current download rate. Your problem though is your current upload rate. .5mb is barely enough to run a online game. You do any thing else, even sending requests for web pages and you will not have enough bandwidth.
If you can get 15mb upload that will solve that. It will be massively better than what you...
15mb is extremely slow for fiber solution. The method most ISP use on FTTH is called GPON which can go 2.5 gbit and the newest can go 10gbit. Now this is shared by multiple users on the same fiber but I think the maximum is something like 128 so the minimum speed should actually be much higher.

15mbps is going to be better than what you have. It is only 2 time your current download rate. Your problem though is your current upload rate. .5mb is barely enough to run a online game. You do any thing else, even sending requests for web pages and you will not have enough bandwidth.
If you can get 15mb upload that will solve that. It will be massively better than what you have.

15mb really isn't enough now days. You really want say 100mbps to be sure. Things like netflix running 4k video uses 25-30mbps. Even a couple normal HD video streams could use 15mb.

It is not uncommon for fiber connections to only work on certain equipment. What is somewhat surprising is they want you to go out and buy it. Many times the ISP will provide the device and in a lot of cases they want a charge a extra monthly fee to pretend they offer the service for less per month.
Even though most ISP use GPON they could be doing something different and even GPON has special setting used by each ISP.

Solution
Oct 3, 2021

If you can get 15mb upload that will solve that. It will be massively better than what you have.

15mb really isn't enough now days. You really want say 100mbps to be sure. Things like netflix running 4k video uses 25-30mbps. Even a couple normal HD video streams could use 15mb.

It is not uncommon for fiber connections to only work on certain equipment. What is somewhat surprising is they want you to go out and buy it. Many times the ISP will provide the device and in a lot of cases they want a charge a extra monthly fee to pretend they offer the service for less per month.
Even though most ISP use GPON they could be doing something different and even GPON has special setting used by each ISP.

hi
my isp is also using GPON and they are guarantee that the speed will never go under 16 mb and its usually in 100 to 150 mb range so there is that
what about packet loss then?
i mean considering how a fiber internet works it should always be 0 right?
and my internet will never drop again if someone else is using it for simple task while i play game?
what about that 15 db thing they told me?

You should get zero packet loss on any internet connection. You might see it on something like mobile broadband but even your DSL connection should not show loss.....unless you overload it.

No way to say what is a good or bad db level. It varies greatly on different types of fiber installations. From what I have seen many times the newer routers actually tell you what the "good" range is in addition to telling you the actual level.
It doesn't matter a lot you can't do anything to affect it. The ISP equipment should know if it is out of range and the ISP should do something to fix it. Fiber stuff is pretty much on or off. Unlike something like DSL a better number does not make it run any faster. If it meets the required number it will function at maximum rate or it fails and pretty much passes zero.

Kopexx

Distinguished
May 7, 2014
Hi, ISP Network Engineer here, can clarify a couple questions for you but don't take any of my answers as fact - every network is different.

No it is not the only router you can use. Yes it is probably the only one your ISP will allow you to use or troubleshoot for you. They would limit support to coming out and checking light levels and cleaning fiber should anything go wrong if you managed to configure your own. Your ISP most likely has a deal with them in regards to preconfigured routers with correct parameters configured for your connection type. We lack necessary details to speculate why any further than that.

In regards to packet loss and latency - both are common issues on adsl/vdsl spans longer than 20,000 feet. Based off you getting a whopping 16mb guaranteed speed on fiber tells me you are very rural. The packet loss could have been due to a copper span longer than 20,000' but you also haven't said if you are using WiFi or ethernet cable, which could also be an issue.

As for the speed - again, sounds like you are very rural. If you are policed at 16mb they are putting a lot of people on each fiber to max out a gig. It also tells me you are on shared fiber. They will put about '2gb' worth of customers on a 1 gig link. At "16mb guaranteed" thats a minimum of 128 customers per fiber - the chances of 70+ customers who are used to DSL maxing out 16mb at the same time are so astronomically low that I'm not even going to bother with that math. If they splurged for 10 gig cards you can add a zero to those customer numbers. But that most likely happens upstream inside their data center. If they had 10 gig cards available they would offer you 100mb 'guaranteed' speeds and subscribe 1000 people to each card/fiber pair.

I believe your install tech meant negative 15 decibels.. 15dB is HOT for long distance fiber - they would be burning up their transceivers every 6 months. If they suck at transport it's totally possible that is their current solution to shared fiber though. The decibel rating on fiber is basically a measurement of how "hot" the "light" is and how far it can go without becoming indistinguishable. Without knowing how far your span is or what their transmit light levels are we cannot calculate expected span loss - so at the end of the day it's completely irrelevant knowledge for you to know your light levels.

Your latency on residential fiber in a rural area should be less than 100ms to anywhere within the united states. Less than 5ms within 50 miles, less than 50 within 500. On good days it should be 20% of those numbers. It is not uncommon to see 1ms latency on your ookla speedtest with FTTH and ethernet connections to your computers. For reference, the backbone fiber spans can send a signal completely around the globe in less than 100ms. It's very very very fast.

Oct 3, 2021
Hi, ISP Network Engineer here, can clarify a couple questions for you but don't take any of my answers as fact - every network is different.

No it is not the only router you can use. Yes it is probably the only one your ISP will allow you to use or troubleshoot for you. They would limit support to coming out and checking light levels and cleaning fiber should anything go wrong if you managed to configure your own. Your ISP most likely has a deal with them in regards to preconfigured routers with correct parameters configured for your connection type. We lack necessary details to speculate why any further than that.

In regards to packet loss and latency - both are common issues on adsl/vdsl spans longer than 20,000 feet. Based off you getting a whopping 16mb guaranteed speed on fiber tells me you are very rural. The packet loss could have been due to a copper span longer than 20,000' but you also haven't said if you are using WiFi or ethernet cable, which could also be an issue.

As for the speed - again, sounds like you are very rural. If you are policed at 16mb they are putting a lot of people on each fiber to max out a gig. It also tells me you are on shared fiber. They will put about '2gb' worth of customers on a 1 gig link. At "16mb guaranteed" thats a minimum of 128 customers per fiber - the chances of 70+ customers who are used to DSL maxing out 16mb at the same time are so astronomically low that I'm not even going to bother with that math. If they splurged for 10 gig cards you can add a zero to those customer numbers. But that most likely happens upstream inside their data center. If they had 10 gig cards available they would offer you 100mb 'guaranteed' speeds and subscribe 1000 people to each card/fiber pair.

I believe your install tech meant negative 15 decibels.. 15dB is HOT for long distance fiber - they would be burning up their transceivers every 6 months. If they suck at transport it's totally possible that is their current solution to shared fiber though. The decibel rating on fiber is basically a measurement of how "hot" the "light" is and how far it can go without becoming indistinguishable. Without knowing how far your span is or what their transmit light levels are we cannot calculate expected span loss - so at the end of the day it's completely irrelevant knowledge for you to know your light levels.

Your latency on residential fiber in a rural area should be less than 100ms to anywhere within the united states. Less than 5ms within 50 miles, less than 50 within 500. On good days it should be 20% of those numbers. It is not uncommon to see 1ms latency on your ookla speedtest with FTTH and ethernet connections to your computers. For reference, the backbone fiber spans can send a signal completely around the globe in less than 100ms. It's very very very fast.
hi
thank you from your response
its very good to have an actual ISP engineer here
first of all no im not rural and actually yesterday they came in to pre-test the cable and we got 192 mb download and 188 upload
that 16mb guarantee is just means that speed will never ever goes under 16 mb even under extreme traffic usage
they told me the max i can expect sometimes is 300 mb
i actually upgraded that guarantee to 30mb because sometimes you cant have enough

as for shared fiber
as far as i know only 9 people in my area has applied for fiber in the last 4 years so I'm actually really happy since most people that lives in my area are old people that only know how to change the TV channel
i could've get my own 1 gb private link but its already cost me too much money and i really don't need hat speed right now but they told me i can upgrade it in less then 2 hours if i wanted to

also of course I'm running a ethernet cable from the router to my pc because Wi-Fi is no where near reliable for gaming

im not in united state and fiber is relatively new here and i actually didn't have any problem with my old ADSL router in terms of download speed other then gaming
but maybe i used to being on a <Mod Edit> speed and that changes today

fiber internet is very new here and only one isp provides it for FTTH plans and i waited nearly 6 months and happen to know a lot of there people to call and ask for accelerating the process
my main and only concern was packet lost and latency
hopefully i can kiss goodbye packet loss and get a lot lower ping and hopefully my internet wont go down as soon as someone else tries to use it other then me
also one more question
how much my ping will change in a game like battlefield 5 if in the middle of my session someone goes on Instagram and watch videos?
assuming that 30 mb is my speed?
will it even change considering fiber is almost the speed of light?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ping time/latency is really only caused by a couple things. The first is distance which is a speed of light thing. The actual rate is varies a bit depending on if it is copper or fiber but even fiber is not at full speed of light. There is also small amounts of fixed overhead as data is converted back and forth from optic to copper. There are still no optical routers/cpu so have quite of few conversions in any path.

For someone say going from coax cable type of system to fiber to the house the latency might drop 5-10ms. Many cable systems you see about 10ms on the first hop and many fiber systems are about 3ms. Other than with testing tools you likely will not be able to tell the difference since it is such a small amount.

All of this stuff you can do nothing about no matter how good or bad the numbers are. This is all outside you house where you have no access to equipment.

Now the other form of latency is caused by data queues. Data is held in buffers when some connection is over utilized. If you have some other application using a lot of data it can cause delays in your traffic. BUT data is not queued unless you are at 100% of your bandwidth. If it is less then all traffic can be processed with no delay and you will not see any increase in the latency.

Reactions: LaNtErN195