Will free upgrade to 10 require fresh install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitenack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
The title says it all. I've got a Win7 Pro 32-bit system that I will be interested in upgrading when Win10 is released. Will all my programs and data be saved when I upgrade or will it be a clean install?

Solution
You will only be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 32bit. If you want to install Windows 10 Pro 64bit it will have to be a fresh install.

If it is anything like the 7->8->8.1 upgrade you will likely be asked to uninstall some programs that are no longer supported. Should be fairly few.

If you are running a lot of legacy 16bit applications, I suggest sticking with Windows 7 until those programs can be replaced. Or learn to love Virtual Machines.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You will only be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 32bit. If you want to install Windows 10 Pro 64bit it will have to be a fresh install.

If it is anything like the 7->8->8.1 upgrade you will likely be asked to uninstall some programs that are no longer supported. Should be fairly few.

If you are running a lot of legacy 16bit applications, I suggest sticking with Windows 7 until those programs can be replaced. Or learn to love Virtual Machines.

Solution

whitenack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012

Thanks for the reply. This is the reason for my question. I want to eventually get to a 64bit OS, which I know requires a fresh install. I have thought about doing it now with Win7, but if I have to do it again with Win10 I might as well wait and do it all at the same time.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Well you will have to go to Win 10 32 bit if you don't want to have to re-install your programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.