[SOLVED] Will future GPU prices be cheaper in the future?

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
Im not in a rush to buy a new card. My current one can carry me for another 1-2 years

I was wondering if future card prices will be cheaper than what it is at the moment. Can I buy a better spec card to a 3060 ti or 3070 for 700-800 USD or should I expect it to be more expensive? I understand that better specc'ed cards will be more expensive, but do you guys think that card prices will normalise and stick to 700-750 for something better than a 3060ti or 3070, as at the moment part of the price hike over mssrp is due to shortage and stuff?

Reactions: chaoyang
Solution
Yes.

The current price bubble has never been seen before. This is not forever. Manufacturing WILL catch up with demand at some point, and anyone sitting on a $1500 RTX3080 is gonna feel pretty dumb at that point, but maybe happy because they got to be the fastest guy on the block for a while, even if it cost them insane amounts of money.

But yes, like all things, this too will pass.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Yes.

The current price bubble has never been seen before. This is not forever. Manufacturing WILL catch up with demand at some point, and anyone sitting on a $1500 RTX3080 is gonna feel pretty dumb at that point, but maybe happy because they got to be the fastest guy on the block for a while, even if it cost them insane amounts of money.

But yes, like all things, this too will pass.

Reactions: barkersofgeraldine
Solution

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
Gonna be intresting to see the resale value of older 3000 series gpu's in the near future. If Nvidia goes through with it's hash rate limiter.

We might see the cards without the limiter go for a higher amount.

InvalidError

Titan
No way IMHO. Bitcoin miners will keep the price high and not a dang thing you can do about it except pay if you wanna play.
Bitcoin hasn't been viable on GPUs for many years already and Ethereum's difficulty has been skyrocketing over the last few months so GPU mining ETH won't be viable for much longer now that ASIC miners have been let loose onto the public. On top of that, Ethereum might transition to Proof-of-Stake before the end of the year, in which case processing transactions will become far more profitable than mining for people sitting on a significant ETH stash.

If all goes well and GPU farms don't inflate a different alt-coin, then GPU-mining might be going on another break for a while.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
msrp will never return
You do understand what msrp is right? Manufacturers suggested retail price. In other words that not the intended price set by Amazon or Newegg or any scalper or eBay or anyplace else that sells gpus supplied by someone else.

In other words its a guarantee that MSRP will survive since places like Nvidia, Amd, Asus, Evga, Corsair etc have their own factory stores, regardless of 3rd party pricing. As OEMs and Manufacturers, whatever prices they set Will be MSRP.

Amazon would have a really hard time selling a gpu for $1200 when you can get the same card direct from Evga for $400.

It's a suggested price, in no way is there anything that says a vendor has to sell for that amount, since the cards do not belong to the OEM, the vendor bought them and is an authorized reseller. They can set pricing for whatever the market can take.

Will future cards be cheaper? Impossible to determine. You could have asked that same question 2 years ago considering Intels cpu prices, and have no clue what 10th Gen pricing would be or if 11th gen would be cheaper or more expensive as switching to 10nm process wasn't even a guaranteed thing. Will a 4080 be better and cheaper than the 3080 msrp? Who knows, it might use HBM2 and be more expensive to manufacture. Maybe Raytracing 3 or DLSS 3 will force costs up, maybe a new process node drops power requirements but costs a fortune to make, maybe Intel finally gets a Fab online and picks up some overflow from TSMC, so cards don't carry the inherent taxes and tarrifs and slashing costs across the board.

Who knows. It's the future. And while some ppl can make highly educated and knowledgeable guesses or predictions, until reality is today, tomorrow is just that. And I for one do not own a reliable crystal ball.

Last edited: