Question Will fx6300 bottleneck a Sapphire R9 380 Nitro?

king sheriff

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
is a fx6300 with a sapphire r9 380 4gb nitro a big bottleneck in 2019?
specs
fx 6300
m5a78l-m/usb3
sapphire r9 380 nitro 4gb
550w antec power supply
14gb ddr3 ram
120 ssd
1tb hhd

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Yes, the FX 6300 will bottleneck the R9 380 but it depends on the game. If you play more GPU Intensive games then you should be fine without any major framedrops. If you aren't then, it won't be a good ride. I mean you can still play it, but framedrops can occur more often.

king sheriff

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
Yes, the FX 6300 will bottleneck the R9 380 but it depends on the game. If you play more GPU Intensive games then you should be fine without any major framedrops. If you aren't then, it won't be a good ride. I mean you can still play it, but framedrops can occur more often.
so like fortnite chapter 2 where i get 60 to 30
and
csgo where i get 70 fps on high settings

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Well, the Source Engine is CPU Intensive in general. But, CSGO itself uses more GPU rather than CPU. So, you won't notice much stuttering with your R9 380. Fortnite is fine, the game is mainly GPU Intensive. Both those games should be fine with that combo.

king sheriff

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
Well, the Source Engine is CPU Intensive in general. But, CSGO itself uses more GPU rather than CPU. So, you won't notice much stuttering with your R9 380. Fortnite is fine, the game is mainly GPU Intensive. Both those games should be fine with that combo.
I have been stuttering like crazy in csgo and fortnite has a optimization problem right now but for csgo 80fps even low 1080 where others get Like 220fps this is crazy

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The term bottleneck is badly misused.

Yes, there will be cases where the CPU can't supply the GPU with data fast enough. That does not mean performance will be worse than it would be with a less-powerful video card.

Still, this is dated hardware. The card performs a little slower than say a GTX1060/RX470/RX480/RX570/RX580, which are the standard "high details at 60fps average at 1920x1080" cards.

The FX-6300 is also quite a dated CPU.

Still, if you want to be absolutely sure, you can run hardware utilization monitoring software (HWInfo, or MSI Afterburner, etc) to see what the percent utilization is of your CPU, GPU, RAM, hard drive, etc. If anything is pegging at 100%, then that's your weak point. It also may be a different component that's the weak point for different games.

That said: Is 14GB of RAM correct? That seems wrong. It should be, say, 8, 12, or 16.

Also: what is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate? 220 fps is meaningless, as I doubt you have a 240Hz monitor.

Reactions: RodroX

Remeca

Reputable

Yes, there will be cases where the CPU can't supply the GPU with data fast enough. That does not mean performance will be worse than it would be with a less-powerful video card.

Still, this is dated hardware. The card performs a little slower than say a GTX1060/RX470/RX480/RX570/RX580, which are the standard "high details at 60fps average at 1920x1080" cards.

Still, if you want to be absolutely sure, you can run hardware utilization monitoring software (HWInfo, or MSI Afterburner, etc) to see what the percent utilization is of your CPU, GPU, RAM, hard drive, etc. If anything is pegging at 100%, then that's your weak point. It also may be a different component that's the weak point for different games.

That said: Is 14GB of RAM correct? That seems wrong. It should be, say, 8, 12, or 16.

Also: what is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate? 220 fps is meaningless, as I doubt you have a 240Hz monitor.

14 is when you have 4 4 4 2.

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Most likely, from my perspective. It would be his/her monitor. I used to use a 60hz monitor to game, and when I reached high FPS I was disappointed because it still felt like 60 FPS. Once again when you said, “80 FPS”, do you mean by you feel like it’s 80 FPS? Or is it actual 80 FPS on the counter. If you feel like it’s that frame rate, then it’s your monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remeca

Reputable
It is impossible for a mismatched set of memory to run dual channel.

XkiLN8A.png

Magic? Impossible?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If I understand it correctly, either 8GB might run in dual channel (the matched 4GB sticks), or, in the best case scenario, 12GB might run in dual channel (the matched 4 GB sticks, and the 2GB stick with the first 2GB of the third 4GB stick).

But you are most certainly NOT running ALL the memory in dual channel. That last 2GB on the odd-man-out 4GB stick has nothing in the other channel to work with.

rodrigoxm49

Great
Oct 13, 2019

Agreed, but this case is a good use of bottleneck term.

FX6300 will bottleneck almost every midrange GPU from 2014 to now since it have really poor IPC and, to make things even worst, it's not a real six cores CPU.

In my experience, FX6300 should bottleneck a R9 380 in something between 20% to 30% depending on which game we're talking. On modern games, maybe more. It's really easy to know how GPU is being bottleneck by a CPU. Just check GPU usage.

I had a R9 380. Really good GPU even for today use. But it needs a good CPU because every modern game is asking for it.

So If you ask me: "i have no money to make any other move", i would say: bring it on. FX6300+380 is playable. You will have bottleneck, but you will play basically every game you want.

TRENDING THREADS