Will G-Sync help "future-proof" a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tniemuth95

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hey guys, looking to get a new laptop with a GTX 1060 in it. I'm torn between two models, one with g-sync and one without. Both with 1080P, 60 hz screens. I mostly play WoW but occasionaly play D3, or some indie games- no big AAA titles like battlefield or CoD. Obviously the 1060 is not going to have any issues with WoW at 1080P and 60FPS. But a couple years down the road, when my FPS drops below 60, or if I want to play some newer games, will g-sync be beneficial then? It's about a $100 difference between the models. So, is g-sync worth it for playing games longer down the road? Thanks!

tniemuth95

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Just wanna clarify- g-sync on a 60hz screen will only take effect when my FPS drops below 60 correct? So I'll only notice a gaming improvement when playing games that drop below 60 fps?

iamacow

Admirable
G-Sync stops working below 30FPS /Hz so in a way you aren't really future proofing at all. As along as you are above 30fps you will have a better gaming experience but in no way would it "future-proof" anything.

G-Sync makes sure you don't see screen tearing by making sure full frames are shows on the display and not dropping frames either. It works upwards of 200hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.