[SOLVED] Will G-Sync offset higher resolution?

blatherscribe

Honorable
Nov 5, 2018
I have an RTX 2080 video card, currently performing very well with a 1920x1080 monitor. I'm thinking of upgrading the monitor, possibly to a Samsung G7 (if they go on sale), but I'm not sure how well this card will handle the higher resolution with newer games. Does G-Sync place enough of the workload on the monitor that it will offset the increased resolution? Or am I misunderstanding something? I have tried googling for an answer, but either this question hasn't been asked often enough or my google skills are insufficient to the task. I've found complaints that G-Sync lowers GPU usage resulting in lower FPS, but they're all several years old. Any advice would be appreciated.

Solution
All G-Sync does is tell the monitor to hold off on grabbing the next frame after its done scanning the current one in. In the case of the Odyssey G7, it only works for refresh rates in the range of 60-240Hz. As long as the GPU can maintain a performance of 60-240 FPS, then the display will sync to the GPU's output.

As for lower performance for using G-Sync, I haven't really seen it.
All G-Sync does is tell the monitor to hold off on grabbing the next frame after its done scanning the current one in. In the case of the Odyssey G7, it only works for refresh rates in the range of 60-240Hz. As long as the GPU can maintain a performance of 60-240 FPS, then the display will sync to the GPU's output.

As for lower performance for using G-Sync, I haven't really seen it.

Solution

blatherscribe

Honorable
Nov 5, 2018
I guess I did misunderstand the process. I thought that by taking over from vsync, the monitor reduced load on the GPU. Well, I don't think I can afford both a new monitor and a new GPU, so I'll stick with what I have. Thanks! :)

I guess I did misunderstand the process. I thought that by taking over from vsync, the monitor reduced load on the GPU. Well, I don't think I can afford both a new monitor and a new GPU, so I'll stick with what I have. Thanks! :)
If you use only VSync and the GPU exceeds the refresh rate, then that happens since the GPU won't start rendering new frames until the monitor is ready to get another one.