[SOLVED] Will G Sync Solve All Display Probelms?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
I have been having lots of issues with screen stuttering I believe, with my rtx 2070 and my non g sync monitor turns out to not work together because when you dont have frame sync with a monitor, you will get screen stuttering, tearing, etc. when under 144fps for my problem, since my monitor is 144hz. My question was if I buy this amazing cheap deal G Sync monitor,

,will I get no tearing, or any screen artifacting, stuttering, etc. no matter what when below 144fps on 165hz, or 144hz? this monitor has overclocking too I think, will overclocking monitor make me not being able to use g sync?

Solution
Exactly, if you are getting 60 frames per second in a game then that is what you are seeing.

The refresh rate of the monitor is simply how many frames per second it is capable of displaying.

For example, if you have a 60hz monitor and are getting 100fps in a game, you are not seeing all 100 frames per second because the monitor can only display a maximum of 60 per second.

Which is why we have high refresh rate monitors now, because when the monitor can actually display that 100 frames per second fully, when you see it, it looks and feels smoother than if you were only getting 60fps or getting more than that, but playing on a 60hz panel.

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
So take a moment to read what I've described for each issue and tell me which one you are experiencing.

Is it stutter?
Screen tear?
Sluggishness?
Or frame skips/drops.
first, I would like to update all my drivers. This is my mobo driver list: my OS is Windows 10 64 bit https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/
I remember downloading Audio, LAN, and Wireless. I think there is a new beta Audio driver though idk what to do for that one. Also, I don't know what the Qualified Vendor list or anything on there. The thing I would like to know is what does a BIOS update do? And a chipset driver?

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
So take a moment to read what I've described for each issue and tell me which one you are experiencing.

Is it stutter?
Screen tear?
Sluggishness?
Or frame skips/drops.
So I read your post very carefully and came in conclusion that it feels sluggish. It says the refresh rate on display settings is 165hz on this dell s2417dg but feels like 60hz not smooth at all. To compare and contrast, I tested 60hz 60fps, 165hz 60fps with and without g sync. They all feel the same. If there is a program that shows refresh rate in real time, I would be happy so I could make a clear decision.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate

This will help you know if your monitor is running at it's max refresh rate or not.

make sure that you run games in full screen mode and not borderless. And you can also try right clicking the .exe file for the game and going to properties and check mark "disable full screen optimizations"

Then make sure that you don't have a limiter set in game settings that makes it 60Hz.

Also, right click the desktop and go to nvidia control pannel, then go to resolution settings, and make sure the monitor is set to it's max refresh rate in the list, then click apply.

If you don't get any options other than 60Hz in the nvidia control panel, then I will have to say yet again, are you connected using Display Port?

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate

This will help you know if your monitor is running at it's max refresh rate or not.

make sure that you run games in full screen mode and not borderless. And you can also try right clicking the .exe file for the game and going to properties and check mark "disable full screen optimizations"

Then make sure that you don't have a limiter set in game settings that makes it 60Hz.

Also, right click the desktop and go to nvidia control pannel, then go to resolution settings, and make sure the monitor is set to it's max refresh rate in the list, then click apply.

If you don't get any options other than 60Hz in the nvidia control panel, then I will have to say yet again, are you connected using Display Port?
I am connected through display port and all gamebar and things like that are disabled

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Chipset and sata driver are important for system performance and stability.

Updating the bios can also help too.

The rest is just drivers for those particular things that they are named for like audio, lan, wireless, etc.

If all else fails let me know and I will give you a detailed guide on how to properly install a fresh copy of windows

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
I also see some components that aren't working as they should, what could be the problem? Can you tell me which drivers I'm supposed to download? https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/ by OS is windows 10 64bit

The rest is just drivers for those particular things that they are named for like audio, lan, wireless, etc.

If all else fails let me know and I will give you a detailed guide on how to properly install a fresh copy of windows

what do you mean by "If all else fails" ? like can this thing kill my system?

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

This really doesn't feel right, and I want to completely delete everything in my system. I am doing something wrong but I don't know what. I want to reset everything inside this pc, and I want a new copy of windows 10 64bit. This is so frustrating...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Some of it you are reading wrong. There is no Sata 6.0. Your Sata ports are all Sata 3 6.0Gb. For some reason, it's running slow according to user benchmark. But it is installed correctly and with 110Gb spare, it's still within specs.

However, ubm also states you have a ton of crud running in the background eating up cpu resources. Might want to run a good ccleaner run through registry and files, also a malwarebytes check.

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
Some of it you are reading wrong. There is no Sata 6.0. Your Sata ports are all Sata 3 6.0Gb. For some reason, it's running slow according to user benchmark. But it is installed correctly and with 110Gb spare, it's still within specs.

However, ubm also states you have a ton of crud running in the background eating up cpu resources. Might want to run a good ccleaner run through registry and files, also a malwarebytes check.
I think I am gonna reset my pc but I don't want to mess up that either since my whole build is a mess... I need help with resetting my pc too, and to get a new fresh copy of windows 10 64bit. But I am tired of all this and I'm going to sleep right now I just want to relax a little because this thing is very complex

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
To do a clean install let's get things prepped.

Please note that anything in blue color is something you type, and anything in red color is something you click.

STEP 1
First, backup any important files that you don't want to lose to the cloud.

Next, if you don't have your Microsoft account linked to your PC login account then you should do this, unless you have the Windows activation key on hand. Then make sure to have that ready for later.

Also take note of which version of Windows you have right now (Home, Pro, Enterprise, N, etc.)

STEP 2
Now, make sure you have a flash drive that is at least 8GB.

First, we need to prep the drive.

Plug the flash drive into the PC.

Make sure to backup any important things that are on the drive since the prep will end up wiping the flash drive.

STEP 3
Open start menu, type CMD then right click and select Run As Administrator.

Now that you are inside command prompt, type the following commands and press the ENTER key after each command.

Diskpart

List Disk

Select Disk #
(where # is the number corresponding to the flash drive in the list)

Clean

Create Partition Primary

Select Partition 1

Active

Format Quick FS=FAT32

Assign

You can now exit command prompt.

STEP 4
Now download and run the Windows Media Creation Tool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Inside the Creation Tool, select the flash drive and continue.

Once the tool is done, open
Start Menu select the Power Icon then select Shut Down

Wait until the PC fully shuts down.

STEP 6
If you have more than one drive in your system read the following.
If you only have one drive, then skip ahead to STEP 7.

If you have more than one hard drive in the system, you will need to unplug all drives EXCEPT the drive you want Windows installed on.

To do this, flip the power switch on the back of the power supply, then unplug the power cable from it.

Then press and hold the power button on the PC for 10 seconds.

Now open the side panel and unplug the sata cable that connects the drives to the motherboard leaving only the drive you want to install Windows on.

STEP 7
Plug the cable back into the power supply and flip the switch back on.

Now turn the PC back on, then start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly until it brings you to the boot selection screen, select the
USB Drive and you should be booted into the Windows installer.

Next you should see a list of Windows versions to select from, pick the one you have an activation for. (Which is why I had you take note of the version earlier)

Inside the Windows installer you will have a main screen that has a button that says Install. Click it.

You will now have two options to choose from, pick the second option witch says
Custom Install

You will now see a new screen that shows some partitions that you can select from to install Windows to.

Select each Partition in the list one at a time and click the Delete option at the bottom for each one until you are left with a single blank Partition.

Now select the blank Partition and click
Install

Windows will now go through an automated process of installing itself.

STEP 8
Near the end of the install it will ask you for a Windows key along with selecting some personalization options. Do what you want for personalization.

If you have a Windows key, you can type it in here, otherwise you can select to skip this.

If your current activation is linked to your Microsoft account as we did at the beginning, part of this process will ask you to sign into an account. Do that.

After this, Windows will finish up the install and drop you off at the desktop.

STEP 9
Now that you are on the desktop, we need to take care of a few things first.

Open up Windows update and manually check for updates.
If there are updates, let them install.

When it is done installing updates, check for more.
If it tells you any of the updates requires a restart, click that option and do so.

Then when the PC restarts, go back into Windows update and check for more updates.

Keep checking for more updates until it no longer gives you anymore updates.

STEP 10
Now that Windows updates are done, you need to install a few things.

Download and install DirectX SDK
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

Now download and install VC++ AiO
http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/visual_c_redistributable_runtimes_aio_repack.html

Now download and install all the drivers from your motherboard support page

Now download and install your graphics card drivers
https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Once you've finished that, if you had to disconnect any drives from the system earlier, follow the procedure to shut down the PC and disconnect power as you did earlier and plug them back in.

STEP 11
Now you can go through and disable all game bar/game mode related features in Windows 10.

Then go into Nvidia control panel and set up your G-Sync and refresh rate settings.

Now that this is all done, you can start downloading and installing games and playing them.

If you end up having troubles or issues, don't hesitate to come back.

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
To do a clean install let's get things prepped.

Please note that anything in blue color is something you type, and anything in red color is something you click.

STEP 1
First, backup any important files that you don't want to lose to the cloud.

Next, if you don't have your Microsoft account linked to your PC login account then you should do this, unless you have the Windows activation key on hand. Then make sure to have that ready for later.

Also take note of which version of Windows you have right now (Home, Pro, Enterprise, N, etc.)

STEP 2
Now, make sure you have a flash drive that is at least 8GB.

First, we need to prep the drive.

Plug the flash drive into the PC.

Make sure to backup any important things that are on the drive since the prep will end up wiping the flash drive.

STEP 3
Open start menu, type CMD then right click and select Run As Administrator.

Now that you are inside command prompt, type the following commands and press the ENTER key after each command.

Diskpart

List Disk

Select Disk #
(where # is the number corresponding to the flash drive in the list)

Clean

Create Partition Primary

I have one question, what does step 3 do? and why do I do it?
Select Partition 1

Active

Format Quick FS=FAT32

Assign

You can now exit command prompt.

STEP 4
Now download and run the Windows Media Creation Tool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Inside the Creation Tool, select the flash drive and continue.

Once the tool is done, open
Start Menu select the Power Icon then select Shut Down

Wait until the PC fully shuts down.

STEP 6
If you have more than one drive in your system read the following.
If you only have one drive, then skip ahead to STEP 7.

If you have more than one hard drive in the system, you will need to unplug all drives EXCEPT the drive you want Windows installed on.

To do this, flip the power switch on the back of the power supply, then unplug the power cable from it.

Then press and hold the power button on the PC for 10 seconds.

Now open the side panel and unplug the sata cable that connects the drives to the motherboard leaving only the drive you want to install Windows on.

STEP 7
Plug the cable back into the power supply and flip the switch back on.

Now turn the PC back on, then start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly until it brings you to the boot selection screen, select the
USB Drive and you should be booted into the Windows installer.

Next you should see a list of Windows versions to select from, pick the one you have an activation for. (Which is why I had you take note of the version earlier)

Inside the Windows installer you will have a main screen that has a button that says Install. Click it.

You will now have two options to choose from, pick the second option witch says
Custom Install

You will now see a new screen that shows some partitions that you can select from to install Windows to.

Select each Partition in the list one at a time and click the Delete option at the bottom for each one until you are left with a single blank Partition.

Now select the blank Partition and click
Install

Windows will now go through an automated process of installing itself.

STEP 8
Near the end of the install it will ask you for a Windows key along with selecting some personalization options. Do what you want for personalization.

If you have a Windows key, you can type it in here, otherwise you can select to skip this.

If your current activation is linked to your Microsoft account as we did at the beginning, part of this process will ask you to sign into an account. Do that.

After this, Windows will finish up the install and drop you off at the desktop.

STEP 9
Now that you are on the desktop, we need to take care of a few things first.

Open up Windows update and manually check for updates.
If there are updates, let them install.

When it is done installing updates, check for more.
If it tells you any of the updates requires a restart, click that option and do so.

Then when the PC restarts, go back into Windows update and check for more updates.

Keep checking for more updates until it no longer gives you anymore updates.

STEP 10
Now that Windows updates are done, you need to install a few things.

Download and install DirectX SDK
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

Now download and install VC++ AiO
http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/visual_c_redistributable_runtimes_aio_repack.html

Now download and install all the drivers from your motherboard support page

Now download and install your graphics card drivers
https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Once you've finished that, if you had to disconnect any drives from the system earlier, follow the procedure to shut down the PC and disconnect power as you did earlier and plug them back in.

STEP 11
Now you can go through and disable all game bar/game mode related features in Windows 10.

Then go into Nvidia control panel and set up your G-Sync and refresh rate settings.

Now that this is all done, you can start downloading and installing games and playing them.

If you end up having troubles or issues, don't hesitate to come back.
why do I have to: "press and hold the power button on the PC for 10 seconds." and I don't have an activation key, I just won't activate windows, is that gonna affect anything in this process of completely resetting the pc? and why do I have to do step 3, and what does it do? Also, what is VC++ AiO?

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
You press and hold the power button to complete a circuit in the PC, draining residual electricity.

You can continue without activating windows. I just offered the solutions to retain an activation of you have one right now.

Step 3 is important because when a program makes a flash drive bootable, there is a chance it doesn't do it right because of certain partition data that is on the drive initially, and doing the full cleaning and formatting process on it helps make sure that the bootable drive that is created works without issues.

VC++ is Visual C++.
There have been many versions released over the years, and while most of the time steam and other clients will install the required version for the game you are installing, it doesn't always do it, or out doesn't do it right, and the VC++ AiO is an All in One installer package that installs all versions and doing this helps make sure you are never missing the required VC++ for any game you play.

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
You press and hold the power button to complete a circuit in the PC, draining residual electricity.

You can continue without activating windows. I just offered the solutions to retain an activation of you have one right now.

Step 3 is important because when a program makes a flash drive bootable, there is a chance it doesn't do it right because of certain partition data that is on the drive initially, and doing the full cleaning and formatting process on it helps make sure that the bootable drive that is created works without issues.

VC++ is Visual C++.
There have been many versions released over the years, and while most of the time steam and other clients will install the required version for the game you are installing, it doesn't always do it, or out doesn't do it right, and the VC++ AiO is an All in One installer package that installs all versions and doing this helps make sure you are never missing the required VC++ for any game you play.
and to make sure, If I get 60fps on a game, I should still be able to get 165hz no stutter, sluggishness, or tear normally. Am I right?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
and to make sure, If I get 60fps on a game, I should still be able to get 165hz no stutter, sluggishness, or tear normally. Am I right?
I don't understand the question.
60fps and 165hz makes no sense.

Hz is what refresh rate the monitor is capable of displaying per second.

Fps is the frame rate that the game is running at and what the GPU is outputting.

If the monitor is set in the display settings to run at up to 165hz, then that's what the monitor is capable of displaying, but if your game is running at 60fps, then all you are going to visually see, and what the monitor is currently displaying to you, is 60 frames per second.

If you somehow think that if a monitor is set to 165hz that it will make 60fps feel smoother and/or faster than it is, then you are mistaken.

The only way you get a smoother experience on a high refresh rate monitor, is when you also get higher frame rates in your game to match it.

And adaptive sync technology just makes things even smoother by eliminating screen tearing without all the input latency and other issues that V-Sync introduces.

So if you want smoother experience than 60fps, then you need adjust game graphic settings to get it running at more than 60fps.

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
I don't understand the question.
60fps and 165hz makes no sense.

Hz is what refresh rate the monitor is capable of displaying per second.

Fps is the frame rate that the game is running at and what the GPU is outputting.

If the monitor is set in the display settings to run at up to 165hz, then that's what the monitor is capable of displaying, but if your game is running at 60fps, then all you are going to visually see, and what the monitor is currently displaying to you, is 60 frames per second.

If you somehow think that if a monitor is set to 165hz that it will make 60fps feel smoother and/or faster than it is, then you are mistaken.

The only way you get a smoother experience on a high refresh rate monitor, is when you also get higher frame rates in your game to match it.

And adaptive sync technology just makes things even smoother by eliminating screen tearing without all the input latency and other issues that V-Sync introduces.

So if you want smoother experience than 60fps, then you need adjust game graphic settings to get it running at more than 60fps.
so this means, If I get a 1080ti on 4K 144hz, and if it runs at 60fps, It won't feel smoother at all because the fps is 60 but the refresh rate is 144hz?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Exactly, if you are getting 60 frames per second in a game then that is what you are seeing.

The refresh rate of the monitor is simply how many frames per second it is capable of displaying.

For example, if you have a 60hz monitor and are getting 100fps in a game, you are not seeing all 100 frames per second because the monitor can only display a maximum of 60 per second.

Which is why we have high refresh rate monitors now, because when the monitor can actually display that 100 frames per second fully, when you see it, it looks and feels smoother than if you were only getting 60fps or getting more than that, but playing on a 60hz panel.

Solution

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

But here is the thing, why are there 144 hz 4k gaming monitors if even RTX 2080ti graphics cards can barely display 144fps on 4k?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Many reasons.

For the pure sake of advancement in technology.

Having the technology ready and developed for the future when we do get graphics cards that can go that high.

Some people run SLI on 2080 Ti and titan cards and can get 100fps, and having a monitor that can do 144hz will allow them to see that extra frame rate, or even if they are getting 80fps, having a monitor that can display that 4k at more than 60hz will still allow them to experience that extra 20fps on their screens.

Etc, etc.

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
Many reasons.

For the pure sake of advancement in technology.

Having the technology ready and developed for the future when we do get graphics cards that can go that high.

Some people run SLI on 2080 Ti and titan cards and can get 100fps, and having a monitor that can do 144hz will allow them to see that extra frame rate, or even if they are getting 80fps, having a monitor that can display that 4k at more than 60hz will still allow them to experience that extra 20fps on their screens.

Etc, etc.
So I bought g sync for no reason, but maybe a tear fix in the future, but I would like to thank you for all this help, and especially the computer reset

TRENDING THREADS