[SOLVED] Will G Sync Solve All Display Probelms?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
I have been having lots of issues with screen stuttering I believe, with my rtx 2070 and my non g sync monitor turns out to not work together because when you dont have frame sync with a monitor, you will get screen stuttering, tearing, etc. when under 144fps for my problem, since my monitor is 144hz. My question was if I buy this amazing cheap deal G Sync monitor,

,will I get no tearing, or any screen artifacting, stuttering, etc. no matter what when below 144fps on 165hz, or 144hz? this monitor has overclocking too I think, will overclocking monitor make me not being able to use g sync?

Solution
Exactly, if you are getting 60 frames per second in a game then that is what you are seeing.

The refresh rate of the monitor is simply how many frames per second it is capable of displaying.

For example, if you have a 60hz monitor and are getting 100fps in a game, you are not seeing all 100 frames per second because the monitor can only display a maximum of 60 per second.

Which is why we have high refresh rate monitors now, because when the monitor can actually display that 100 frames per second fully, when you see it, it looks and feels smoother than if you were only getting 60fps or getting more than that, but playing on a 60hz panel.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I have a 1080 Ti overclocked, and I have a 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor.

In the latest titles, I put the graphics on high preset and get anywhere from 90-120fps depending on the game, and while I may not be getting 144fps, because my monitor is capable of displaying more than what I'm getting, I get the benefits of seeing that frame rate on my monitor, and with G-Sync, I am not having to be locked into a specific frame rate on the monitor, while still getting rid of screen tearing, and not getting all the input latency that comes with V-Sync.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Not just screen tearing, G-Sync not only gets rid of screen tearing, but also doesn't introduce the input delay of using V-Sync, and in any game, especially competitive online multilayer, the less input delay you have the better, and with G-Sync, you can get that lower input latency while removing the screen tearing making for a more fluid and immersive gaming experience that isn't ruined by having tears in the screen that distract you from the experience and immersion.

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
Not just screen tearing, G-Sync not only gets rid of screen tearing, but also doesn't introduce the input delay of using V-Sync, and in any game, especially competitive online multilayer, the less input delay you have the better, and with G-Sync, you can get that lower input latency while removing the screen tearing making for a more fluid and immersive gaming experience that isn't ruined by having tears in the screen that distract you from the experience and immersion.
;)

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
To do a clean install let's get things prepped.

Please note that anything in blue color is something you type, and anything in red color is something you click.

STEP 1
First, backup any important files that you don't want to lose to the cloud.

Next, if you don't have your Microsoft account linked to your PC login account then you should do this, unless you have the Windows activation key on hand. Then make sure to have that ready for later.

Also take note of which version of Windows you have right now (Home, Pro, Enterprise, N, etc.)

STEP 2
Now, make sure you have a flash drive that is at least 8GB.

First, we need to prep the drive.

Plug the flash drive into the PC.

Make sure to backup any important things that are on the drive since the prep will end up wiping the flash drive.

STEP 3
Open start menu, type CMD then right click and select Run As Administrator.

Now that you are inside command prompt, type the following commands and press the ENTER key after each command.

Diskpart

List Disk

Select Disk #
(where # is the number corresponding to the flash drive in the list)

Clean

Create Partition Primary

Select Partition 1

Active

Format Quick FS=FAT32

Assign

You can now exit command prompt.

STEP 4
Now download and run the Windows Media Creation Tool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Inside the Creation Tool, select the flash drive and continue.

Once the tool is done, open
Start Menu select the Power Icon then select Shut Down

Wait until the PC fully shuts down.

STEP 6
If you have more than one drive in your system read the following.
If you only have one drive, then skip ahead to STEP 7.

If you have more than one hard drive in the system, you will need to unplug all drives EXCEPT the drive you want Windows installed on.

To do this, flip the power switch on the back of the power supply, then unplug the power cable from it.

Then press and hold the power button on the PC for 10 seconds.

Now open the side panel and unplug the sata cable that connects the drives to the motherboard leaving only the drive you want to install Windows on.

STEP 7
Plug the cable back into the power supply and flip the switch back on.

Now turn the PC back on, then start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly until it brings you to the boot selection screen, select the
USB Drive and you should be booted into the Windows installer.

Next you should see a list of Windows versions to select from, pick the one you have an activation for. (Which is why I had you take note of the version earlier)

Inside the Windows installer you will have a main screen that has a button that says Install. Click it.

You will now have two options to choose from, pick the second option witch says
Custom Install

You will now see a new screen that shows some partitions that you can select from to install Windows to.

Select each Partition in the list one at a time and click the Delete option at the bottom for each one until you are left with a single blank Partition.

Now select the blank Partition and click
Install

Windows will now go through an automated process of installing itself.

STEP 8
Near the end of the install it will ask you for a Windows key along with selecting some personalization options. Do what you want for personalization.

If you have a Windows key, you can type it in here, otherwise you can select to skip this.

If your current activation is linked to your Microsoft account as we did at the beginning, part of this process will ask you to sign into an account. Do that.

After this, Windows will finish up the install and drop you off at the desktop.

STEP 9
Now that you are on the desktop, we need to take care of a few things first.

Open up Windows update and manually check for updates.
If there are updates, let them install.

When it is done installing updates, check for more.
If it tells you any of the updates requires a restart, click that option and do so.

Then when the PC restarts, go back into Windows update and check for more updates.

Keep checking for more updates until it no longer gives you anymore updates.

STEP 10
Now that Windows updates are done, you need to install a few things.

Download and install DirectX SDK
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

Now download and install VC++ AiO
http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/visual_c_redistributable_runtimes_aio_repack.html

Now download and install all the drivers from your motherboard support page

Now download and install your graphics card drivers
https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Once you've finished that, if you had to disconnect any drives from the system earlier, follow the procedure to shut down the PC and disconnect power as you did earlier and plug them back in.

STEP 11
Now you can go through and disable all game bar/game mode related features in Windows 10.

Then go into Nvidia control panel and set up your G-Sync and refresh rate settings.

Now that this is all done, you can start downloading and installing games and playing them.

If you end up having troubles or issues, don't hesitate to come back.
Oh and I don't have to do all the next steps after Step 4 right?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Steps 4 and beyond are how you do a clean install of windows.

Unless you don't want to reinstall Windows at which point, any issues you have with your system that are driver and software related will not ever go away.

Look, I'll make it simple.

You have been having issues with stuttering and other things in games.

Nothing we tried that was software and driver related worked, which means the only thing left to do, is start from scratch with a clean slate, which is doing a clean install of Windows.

And so I provided a proper guide to doing that.

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
And doing a refresh/reset through recovery won't fix operating system issues because the data it has for resetting everything comes from the wonky OS you have installed.

It's like having a fire that started from oil, and you try to fix it by putting oil on it.
But here is one thing i didn't understand, is this going to reset all my storage? If yes, I am pretty sure now know what I need to exactly do.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I'm not sure I understand what you want to know? Doing a clean install of Windows will wipe the hard drive, meaning it will be completely blank as if it was brand new it has no date on it. No files of any kind at all whatsoever, which is why in the beginning of my tutorial I told you specifically to back up any important files to an external location such as the cloud so that you don't lose them because when you do this clean install you will wipe every bit of data off of your hard drive and you will have nothing on it and everything on there will be gone

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
I'm not sure I understand what you want to know? Doing a clean install of Windows will wipe the hard drive, meaning it will be completely blank as if it was brand new it has no date on it. No files of any kind at all whatsoever, which is why in the beginning of my tutorial I told you specifically to back up any important files to an external location such as the cloud so that you don't lose them because when you do this clean install you will wipe every bit of data off of your hard drive and you will have nothing on it and everything on there will be gone
The last questions I have for now,
1- The step says I unplug "the sata cable", that is another question I have, do I unplug both the power and mobo connection?
2- But since I have Windows already installed on this pc, how does the installation process happen so that it is wiped out? Does it have something to do with STEP 7?
3- There is a thing that says: SPDIF OUT or something like that on the IO of my mobo that I don't understand what major affect it has to the pc
4- Why do I have to plug in my drive back all the way at step 10?

5- This is not a question, I would like to let you know that my problem was fixed now knowing what I didn't know: My monitor will only display what my gpu can display. That was the solution to my display problem. The reason I would like to know how to reset windows sometime because now I know how to work with my pc better, I can restart and download necessary things the right way.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
71kXefKt2jL._SX425_.jpg

This is a sata cable. It allows your PC to communicate with and see a hard drive.

The reason you unplug extra drives, is so that when you go and delete partitions in the installer, you don't want to also delete your other drives and lose the data on them, also, sometimes windows installer will install the MBR (Master Boot Record) onto a different drive than the one you are installing Windows on if there are other drives, and you don't want this to happen.

And yes, step seven has to do with using the partition manager in the installer to delete the partitions which wipes the drive of all data.

And no, you don't have to go unplugging a bunch of things, just turning off the pc and unplugging it from power and doing the power button thing is so you don't have electricity running through the components that way you don't end up causing a short that damages things.

And unplugging sata of extra drives I just now explained.

If you don't have extra drives and only have the one single drive in your system that windows is installed on, then as I stated in my guide, you can ignore that little step.

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
71kXefKt2jL._SX425_.jpg

This is a sata cable. It allows your PC to communicate with and see a hard drive.

The reason you unplug extra drives, is so that when you go and delete partitions in the installer, you don't want to also delete your other drives and lose the data on them, also, sometimes windows installer will install the MBR (Master Boot Record) onto a different drive than the one you are installing Windows on if there are other drives, and you don't want this to happen.

And yes, step seven has to do with using the partition manager in the installer to delete the partitions which wipes the drive of all data.

And no, you don't have to go unplugging a bunch of things, just turning off the pc and unplugging it from power and doing the power button thing is so you don't have electricity running through the components that way you don't end up causing a short that damages things.

And unplugging sata of extra drives I just now explained.

If you don't have extra drives and only have the one single drive in your system that windows is installed on, then as I stated in my guide, you can ignore that little step.
You said "you don't want to also delete your other drives and lose the data on them" what does this mean, will the storage on my other drive still be there after the installation? Because as far as I know, there will be no connection to my hard drive after I unplug sata and I would like to know if the data on there will be deleted too. I know what a sata cable looks like btw, there is one that connects to mobo, and one to PSU, and I didn't quite get if I need to unplug both or only the mobo connection one. Also, you didn't answer my question 3, and 4, but 4 doesn't really matter that much, I just want to know why it is all the way back at step 10.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I said what I said assuming you didn't want to delete the data on ALL of your drives.

If you want to delete data on ALL of them, still go through what I said to do for the install, but then when you reconnect your other drives, just format them from within Windows by right clicking on them in "This PC" section of file explorer and selecting "Format"

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
I said what I said assuming you didn't want to delete the data on ALL of your drives.

If you want to delete data on ALL of them, still go through what I said to do for the install, but then when you reconnect your other drives, just format them from within Windows by right clicking on them in "This PC" section of file explorer and selecting "Format"
I have my video editing software on my ssd, but it's projects and all the stuff like that are on the hard drive. Will that cause any problems? And again, I wonder if you know what SPDIF OUT button like thing on my mobo has affect on my pc, you also didn't say if to unplug JUST the mobo sata cable, or BOTH the mobo and power supply.

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I'm going to be brutally honest with you.
My step by step guide was very simple and very clear.

You, however, seem to be having trouble understating things for whatever reason.

I can't help you anymore because all I will be doing is repeating myself for the 3rd or 4th time.

I suggest you take the time to go back and read what I've said, and if my clear cut, and straight forward information is too much for you, I suggest taking your pc to a local pc guy who can do it for you and maybe have a better time getting you to understand.