Will getting a new motherboard require me to re-buy windows 10?

Crazy_Steve

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Title says it all, I have a M5 a97 r2.0 and I want to upgrade to an Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 but I have been told from a trusted person that changing my MOB may require to to re-buy/re-acquire Windows 10. If so is there a way to save my OS?

Sorry if I sound like a noob Motherboards and Operating Systems are my least knowledgeable fields.

Solution
If you have oem version then you would need to buy another license but it is unlikely.
All you will have to do is deactivate windows license and use that same key in new copy of windows,(Warning: this will only work if you have a retail copy of windows.)

zarmaan

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
If you have oem version then you would need to buy another license but it is unlikely.
All you will have to do is deactivate windows license and use that same key in new copy of windows,(Warning: this will only work if you have a retail copy of windows.)

Solution

Crazy_Steve

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Thank you for the help I had retail Windows 8 so I have a retail version of Windows 10, So I'm safe

Colif

Win 11 Master
Two things

It is possible you won't need a new licence to install win 10 on a new motherboard as they have changed how activation works, it can be linked to your email address instead now. You no longer have a licence, you have a digital entitlement to windows 10 on that PC or your user. There is a troubleshooter you can run on win 10 once its installed that helps you with reactivation. See http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

Secondly, when you upgraded to win 10 using your win 8 retail key it became a Win 10 Digital entitlement after one month. This digital entitlement is linked to your email address if you logon using your Microsoft account (the email address you gave Microsoft to register for an upgrade) and according to the changes to activation, you can install Win 10 on this PC as many times as you like.

Three things actually, you don't even need to know the key anymore. when you use the installer and get to stage where it asks for a key, click "Skip" or "I don't have a key" and win 10 will fix up activation once installed. It may activate itself or you may have to run troubleshooter above. I don't know for sure as this is all new.

Crazy_Steve

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Alright I'll do more research thank you for your response as the two responses I've received vary quite differently so I will trust your answer as you have more badges.

Colif

Win 11 Master