Will give free SWTOR standard edition account to first to fix issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I just upgraded my mobo too an ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS and my CPU too an AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor my. GPU is an ati sapphire 7850 and my monitor is an gateway FHX2402L. for some reason there is a black border around the screen (even at launch where BIOS is) and scaling/changing resolution is not doing anything.. the border is no bigger than 3 mm but it's driving me crazy not only because I am getting super low frames in Rift when my PC is overkill for that game but I wasn't having this problem with inferior hardware. Please help me I am raging hard @_@ I feel like I spent 300$ too google black border fix and to constantly find people saying to set scaling to 0% in CCC (it's called AMD vision engine control center now for some reason, apparently because I have an AMD GPU and CPU) I tried to adjust my screens vertical/height options in the main menu but for some reason it's greyed out and when I try to select it it just skips over it and goes to the next option :) help plox

I failed to mention I had to have my hard drive wiped and windows reinstalled, but I am confident that I downloaded all the drivers I need.

randomkid

Distinguished
Not trying to say you don't game but if you do and you can deal with it you're lucky lmao
I guess I am. :bounce:
I game in 3x42" LED TV's. :) I sit about 7 feet away when I game. The TV's have a 1" bezel in between. But it becomes invisible as I got immersed in the gameplay so I guess the 4mm black boarder is nothing...

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Have you checked within the monitors settings. (Using the buttons on the monitors). I havent had to do it in a long time but some monitors use to have settings that when you bring up the monitor menus you would get the option for how close the image is to the edge of the monitor. The fact that you're saying it happens at boot even in the bios makes me think its not a software issue like in CCC but something you'll have to adjust on the monitor itself.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I have a border around my screen that gets bigger the lower I set my resolution, right now it's at 1920x1080(recommended res) I tried reinstalling CCC and adjusting settings through monitor menu but the options are greyed out.. adjusting overscan doesn't help either (but for some reason it's max underscan is now 10% and not 15%) I just upgraded my CPU and mobo and feel like I payed 300$ to get a giant black rectangle around my screen. please help lol

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Hmm... Weird that the monitor OSD won't work...

Anyway sounds to me like underscan.

Have you tried finding/installing drivers for the monitor?

If only it were that simple, overscaling at 0%. and I found the drivers but I have no idea how to install them.. I think I already have the latest one since there is only 1 driver online and I think it's already installed

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I think I found a solution, it says the driver for my display is from 2006, but the latest is from 2010. I don't know how to install an "ICC profile" It's what I got when I downloaded the latest drivers. please respond. I can't rest until I fix this u.u

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
so whats the problem? you never really stated what the issue is....is it you get an error when you try to install new drivers that says something about ICC Profile? you need to give us more information

The issue is in the title, I don't know how to install the driver when I point it to the directory it says the latest one is installed.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
just had a new mobo and CPU installed, had to have my hard drive wiped and resintalled windows 7. I installed all the drivers I needed using driver genius pro. Now there is a black rectanlge around my screen that gets bigger the lower my resolutions gets, it has nothing to do with scaling (Maybe? underscaling used to have a max of 15% now it's 10%) I can't manually adjust my monitors vertical/height because the option isn't there and I have triedu sing DVI VGA and HDMI it's the same thing for all of them. Please help, this is starting to get irritating it seems like I am the only person in the world with this problem. And please don't tell me it isn't a big deal just because the line is only 2-3 mm wide on the highest resolution I have.

poweruser_24

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Th eproblem you have described indicates that the graphics card driver you need in order to reach the resolution for your monitor is not installed. By default Windows will use a generic graphics driver, but this may not be able to support resolutions higher than 1024x768 (sometimes higher, but not always).

I suggest you install the applicable graphics driver for your computer. You can normally source these from the manufactor, e.g. www.nvidia.com, www.amd.com, www.matrox.com, www.intel.com

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Th eproblem you have described indicates that the graphics card driver you need in order to reach the resolution for your monitor is not installed. By default Windows will use a generic graphics driver, but this may not be able to support resolutions higher than 1024x768 (sometimes higher, but not always).

I suggest you install the applicable graphics driver for your computer. You can normally source these from the manufactor, e.g. www.nvidia.com, www.amd.com, www.matrox.com, www.intel.com

I just uninstalled everything AMD for drivers, can you PLEASE tell me what AMD driver I need to download for my 7800 series to fix this issue?

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
For some reason my monitor won't go full screen in its native resolution.(1920x1080) I have adjusted overscan to 0%(for some reason max underscan is only 10%, used to be 15) and tried uninstalling an reinstalling AMD drivers i have an sapphire 7850 and nothing changed. In fact when the display drivers were not there and it was in the 1024x700 res or w/e it is I still had this black border no more than 3 mm wide surrounding my screen. I recently had my harddrive wiped and windows 7 reinstalled as i got a new mobo and CPU. I'm more than certain that this is an issue i can fix myself without having to bring my PC in to a shop because it was working fine before the new mobo and CPU! I think it's happening because something on my hard drive that I needed was removed. It says that my monitor display has the latest drivers (the PnP thing or w/e) but it says they are from 2006 and on the website where i download drivers for my monitor it says the latest are from 2010. I tried to download drivers from the gateway website I have a FHX2402L but all it gives me is a file called ICC profile that doesn't do anything. The b order is still there when my PC is starting up.(windows loading screen, the menu where i can choose to launch BIOS) I have tried VGA and DVI AND HDMI the still thing still happens.... also the lower my resolution goes the bigger the black border gets.. I even used driver sweeper to remove AMD drivers and still no luck.. if you can solve this problem for me I will select your answer as best and send you a message with the login details for the SWTOR account and you can change the pass word and do with it as you will I don't really care.. thanks for reading

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Been a while since i used AMD drivers, but i had this issue with my old 4870's.

Try under scanning if it makes the picture fit to aspect.

GPU scaling helps in games, also try turning the monitor off by the plug, then turn it back on once you enable the GPU scan method.

none of that worked, underscaling just makes the borders even larger lol. and I already had enable GPU scaling on also unplugging monitor didn't help either :(

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Is there any size options in the menu on the actual screen (using the screen controls)?

There are but it's so weird when i try to select what looks like should be screen adjust( a small screen with arrows pointing in every directions) it just skips right over it! there is also what I assume to be atuo scale (as it's a small monitor symbol with the words "auto" written on it) but I can't select it either. I have no idea wtf is going on lol

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

full panel size along with the other 2 options are greyed out, but it says full panel size is enabled.(under enable GPU scaling)