Will give free SWTOR standard edition account to first to fix issue

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I just upgraded my mobo too an ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS and my CPU too an AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor my. GPU is an ati sapphire 7850 and my monitor is an gateway FHX2402L. for some reason there is a black border around the screen (even at launch where BIOS is) and scaling/changing resolution is not doing anything.. the border is no bigger than 3 mm but it's driving me crazy not only because I am getting super low frames in Rift when my PC is overkill for that game but I wasn't having this problem with inferior hardware. Please help me I am raging hard @_@ I feel like I spent 300$ too google black border fix and to constantly find people saying to set scaling to 0% in CCC (it's called AMD vision engine control center now for some reason, apparently because I have an AMD GPU and CPU) I tried to adjust my screens vertical/height options in the main menu but for some reason it's greyed out and when I try to select it it just skips over it and goes to the next option :) help plox

I failed to mention I had to have my hard drive wiped and windows reinstalled, but I am confident that I downloaded all the drivers I need.

lordravage

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Yeah, I ran into this myself awhile back. Set the resolution lower than native, set the scaling mode you want, and save out, back to the desktop. Then go back and change to the resolution you want, and the scaling setting will stick.

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Windows Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display > Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings > Monitor tab > Screen Refresh Rate should be set to 60 Hz. Save and close Control Panel. Open Catalyst Control Center. If the refresh was other than 60, setting it to 60 should have restored the scaling range of 15% - 0% and if it does then pull the scaling slider back to the middle (should make your screen grow smaller). Save the settings and close CCC. Reboot. Open CCC and adjust scaling to 0%.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Windows Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display > Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings > Monitor tab > Screen Refresh Rate should be 60 Hz. If it was something else, setting it to 60 should restore the scaling range of 15% - 0%

didn't work ;s was already at 60 anyway :(

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Didn't work : /

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

In that case, open up device manager in the control panel, expand the "monitor" tree, right-click the monitor (it's probably called "Generic PnP Monitor"), and select Update Driver Software. Then choose "Browse my computer for driver software", and locate the folder you extracted the files to with the "Browse..." button, and hit "Next"

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
On your monitor, is there a button or menu to reset to defaults? I can only guess a couple of remaining possibilities. Maybe the dot pitch (dpi) is not correct, or maybe you have the Catalyst beta drivers (which once caused exactly the same problem for me in Linux two years ago).

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Tried that earlier, just tried it again. Same thing happened, said the drivers are the "best" for my monitor and doesn't give me an option to do it

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
■ Black border, nothing to do with scaling or resolution. PLEASE HELP
■ Black border around screen please help
■ Black border about 2 MM wide running along edge of screen...
■ Black border 2mm wide need help
■ Black border, need some help.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

Uninstall the current driver first, (In Add and Remove) then try re installing it.

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

^This

Read your monitor's manual and if you still can't get the OSD to work call Gateway.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
This is a monitor issue, reset the monitor back to manufactures' settings.
Flipping AMD drivers around and monkeying with the settings isn't gonna do a bit of good....
Yes, I have alot of experience with AMD >_>

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

It does it for my older acer monitoy as well, I don't think it's my monitor.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

How do I do this @_@

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Again, read your monitor's manual if you can't figure out how to work the OSD. You just need to adjust the horizontal and vertical stretch and offsets.

nec-2490-advmenue2.jpg

This is a random image...yours is probably different but basically what you are looking for.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

I can use the OCD, my monitor's manual does not say anything about the OCD. The OCD has the controls underneath the options you pick. I know how to navigate around and select an option, but I can't select a phew of them ( i hear it's because of HDMI or something) and again, it happened on my acer monitor as well so I'm not positive it's my monitor but I might be wrong because I tested it on extended display. will test it now without my gateway being plugged in as well