Will give free SWTOR standard edition account to first to fix issue

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I just upgraded my mobo too an ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS and my CPU too an AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor my. GPU is an ati sapphire 7850 and my monitor is an gateway FHX2402L. for some reason there is a black border around the screen (even at launch where BIOS is) and scaling/changing resolution is not doing anything.. the border is no bigger than 3 mm but it's driving me crazy not only because I am getting super low frames in Rift when my PC is overkill for that game but I wasn't having this problem with inferior hardware. Please help me I am raging hard @_@ I feel like I spent 300$ too google black border fix and to constantly find people saying to set scaling to 0% in CCC (it's called AMD vision engine control center now for some reason, apparently because I have an AMD GPU and CPU) I tried to adjust my screens vertical/height options in the main menu but for some reason it's greyed out and when I try to select it it just skips over it and goes to the next option :) help plox

I failed to mention I had to have my hard drive wiped and windows reinstalled, but I am confident that I downloaded all the drivers I need.

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
You should not need to adjust the resolution, Catalyst Control Center automatically detects the screen and sets the proper resolution. The scaling adjuster in Catalyst Control Center is just a slider that you move to the right to increase the picture size (as it decreases the black border around the picture). There should also be no need to mess with the vertical or horizontal adjustments. Adjusting the scaling (overscan) probably won't change the border around the BIOS splash screen, however.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
You should not need to adjust the resolution, Catalyst Control Center automatically detects the screen and sets the proper resolution. The scaling adjuster in Catalyst Control Center is just a slider that you move to the right to increase the picture size (as it decreases the black border around the picture). There should also be no need to mess with the vertical or horizontal adjustments.

The black border around my screen suggests otherwise

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Scaling is not the same thing as changing resolution.

I'm well aware of this, I'm just curious are you trying to help me right now? all you did was tell me what you thought I didn't know >.> I'm looking for a fix to the black border I have, I said that changing the resolution and adjusting scaling is not fixing my issue. do you have any idea what I could possibly do to fix the issue I am having?

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Believe it or not, I'm trying to help. If you already changed the resolution, then saved those settings, it will confound your attempt to use the scaling adjuster. My opinion is that you should click the "Autodetect" so CCC will reset your resolution to its native dimensions (which will give you a black border) then use the scaling adjuster to force the desktop to fit the full size of your screen.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s397/spankmon/ScreenShot004.png

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Believe it or not, I'm trying to help. If you already changed the resolution, then saved those settings, it will confound your attempt to use the scaling adjuster. My opinion is that you should click the "Autodetect" so CCC will reset your resolution to its native dimensions (which will give you a black border) then use the scaling adjuster to force the desktop to fit the full size of your screen.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s397/spankmon/ScreenShot004.png

Hmm I understand, for some reason mine says 10% instead of 15 :( I am a huge noob, can you please tell me where I can set it to "autodetect" I think that this is the fix I am looking for. Thank you for the time.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Here's a pic of the "Detect" button, but I'm not so sure it will readjust the resolution. You might need to reset it manually to native resolution.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s397/spankmon/CCC-detect.png

I'm pretty sure that my native resolution is 1920x1080, which is what it's set to right now. it's still at 10%

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Something happened to my AMD vision engine control center AKA CCC, I'm in 1920x1080 res but my over/under scaling is at 10% to 0 so I am getting a black border around my screen at all resolutions. PLEASE HELP @_@

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I see... what exactly happen to AMD CCC?

Did you try to reinstall it? What is the version & what is your graphics card?

My under/overscaling options used to be at 15%-0%, now it's at 10%-0%. I tried to reinstall three times, I have an ATI 7850 and the driver is 12.6 I tried 12.3 and 12.4

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I have an ati 7850... my monitor is a gateway FHX2492L... thread title speaks for itself, I'm using an HDMI cable I just had a new CPU and MOBO installed my hard drive was wiped yes I re installed drivers now underscan is at max 10%(used to be 15) and for some reason this is making me get a black border.. can someone tell me what I should do

randomkid

Distinguished
2MM is not too bad & I think it is normal.

Not that I looked, I just noticed that I myself have it both in my Laptop Screen & desktop monitor on all sides. I used to be bothered with it before for my TV because I have bigger black boarder when I use them with my PC (about 4mm) but I soon forget about it & no more problem. :)

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Just saw your other thread. Why open so many? You could have said here how big is the black boarder. If it is 2mm as you said in your other thread I would have said not to worry from the beginning... :)

Because people are more likely to answer and I am incredibly pissed that after upgrading inferior hardware that I now have a giant black rectangle surrounding my screen when I am trying to game. It may not bother someone that just wants to log on too facebook or watch some youtube videos but it bothers me and there is no reason I should have to deal with it -.-

Not trying to say you don't game but if you do and you can deal with it you're lucky lmao

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I *think* there are two variations of the 1920x1080 resolution, one is PAL (Europe) and the other NTSC (N America). Some monitors sold in the US come with the PAL version as native. So even if you have the correct resolution, you might not be using the version that is native to your monitor.

My feeble suggestion is to click the "Defaults" button at the bottom of the CCC, save and close CCC, reboot and then see if the scaling adjuster can be used to fill your screen completely. I see in your other threads that you have tried more than one version of the Catalyst driver... its possible that there is a conflicting file remaining (even if you uninstalled the previous driver before installing the new one) that is preventing the scaling adjustment from working as it should.

When I install a new version of Catalyst, after using the Windows uninstaller to remove the old driver, I also use Driver Sweeper to completely purge all files related to Catalyst. I do this after logging into Windows Safe Mode (click F8 repeatedly at the first sign of the Windows splash screen at boot-up to access Safe Mode). This always works well for me, but I'm not going to recommend it because some people claim that Driver Sweeper is a suspicious application.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s397/spankmon/ScreenShot006.png