[SOLVED] will graphics card upgrade provide benefit

Dec 27, 2020
saved up money to buy brand new system this year but covid eat some of t he money
was wondering if a new graphics card wpould make current system able to play the new games like cyberpunk or will old hardware totally mess with system
I have an i7930 12 gb on a gigabyte x58a-ud3r motherboard, 500gb ssd and 1 tb hard drive
has a radeon nitro 390 8gb graphics card
cannot remeber what power supply was but it is more then enough to handle the new graphics cards
used mainly to play diablo, path of exile
plays elite dangerous in vr well
feeling urge to play cyberpunk and star citizen though
will something like cyberpunk play highe settings or should i just get geforce now to tide me over

Solution
2,000 in Canada is still more than enough to replace the computer totally. Don't bother doing one part at a time, you can build a new one and sell yours for a few 100. Those higher end older cards still have a pretty strong demand out there, I sold a 290 that had some issues for $40 or $50 not even a perfect card but someone bought it.
At this point the old i7 is going to limit performance in cpu heavy games regardless gpu choice. Also if the psu is as old as the rest of the system I would upgrade it instead of risking a new gpu on it. PSU’s deteriorate with age and usage and if they fail could damage any connected components. At this point I would plan for a whole new system. You could start with a new gpu and psu if you plan to upgrade the rest soon.

What resolution and Hz is your monitor? What budget do you have for gpu and psu or for a whole system upgrade?

Dec 27, 2020
Was planning for high end system and had 4000 saved up but now down to 2000 due to covid , have not decided to save it for emergencies or spend a little on upgrade
Dell U3011 2560x1600 60hz

Was planning for high end system and had 4000 saved up but now down to 2000 due to covid , have not decided to save it for emergencies or spend a little on upgrade
Dell U3011 2560x1600 60hz
2000 what? This is a global forum.

Running a lowish resolution and only 60Hz you don’t need a high end system unless you planned on upgrading the monitor. For that monitor you could happily max out most/all games with a 3060Ti, Ryzen 5600x and 2x8gb 3600mhz RAM.

2,000 in Canada is still more than enough to replace the computer totally. Don't bother doing one part at a time, you can build a new one and sell yours for a few 100. Those higher end older cards still have a pretty strong demand out there, I sold a 290 that had some issues for $40 or $50 not even a perfect card but someone bought it.

Solution