Question Will graphics cards from prebuilt PC work in my build ?

So this is the question.

Current spec is as follows:

Ryzen 5 3600
AsRock ab350 pro 4(which appears to have a beta bios available that will let me upgrade the cpu a final time so that is probably on the agenda for later).
16gb ddr4 3000(another item I’ll probably upgrade to a 32gb kit later to max out this build to sit on a while before jumping to am5 or Intel.)
250gb Samsung evo 960 nvme.
2 1tb sata ssd drives for storage.
Corsair RMx 850 watt modular psu.
Cooler Master mb511 case with mesh front. 6 fans installed.
https://www.newegg.com/red-cooler-master-masterbox-mb511-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119346

Vetroo tower cooler with push pull configuration, though maybe I’ll go to something smaller at some point.

Finally, don’t laugh, a gtx 1060 3gb. Starting to look around and seems like gpu log jam is letting up. So thinking of getting a gpu while the getting is good.

On the lower side I’m considering the RX 6600. I can get one used on eBay it appears for about $270. I could go to a 6600xt for 330-350. But if I’m looking on the nvidia side, I’ve looked dry the 3050 which seems to cost too much compared to the available amd options, same for the 3060 and ti. Considering an rtx 2070 super in the 350-360 range, but I’ve seen 2080s for close to 400 and the 2080 super not much more in a couple of cases.

Some of the cards are showing they are pulled from Dell or Lenovo pc systems. I don’t know of or see a reason that one of those system pulled cards wouldn’t work on my pc, but has anyone had experience with that? Or is there a reason I should be concerned?

Current monitor is 1080p, however, part of the idea is use a long hdmi cable to go to a TV set I’ve got in the same room and Bluetooth an Xbox controller to the pc in order to play some of the Sony ports such as the spider man games that are rumored to be coming on pc and the uncharted port as well.

Edit: forgot to mention my 1080p monitor is 27 inch 144hz.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
2070Super basically equals a 2080, uses the same pcb, which basically equals a 3060 except for the Raytracing in the 3060 is better.

Which trade blows with the 6700xt.

There's always games that favor one over the other, pick your poison there, but overall the differences are minimal.

If streaming is a thought, nvenc is very decent, but you'd need to use obs with the amd card which can be taxing on lesser cpus unless set specifically for gpu rendering.

To update, I ended up purchasing an msi mech 6700xt. The price was right at 430 US dollars. The seller listed it as manufacturer refurbished and had over 99% positive feedback over a few thousand ratings and said they offered returns. I also know eBay has their money back guarantee so if something goes wrong soon then I should be able to file a case. I’ll just have to be sure to put it through its paces once it arrives. But should be a huge upgrade from the gtx 1060 3gb I’ve got in there presently.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe. Depends on what's doing. By itself, it's a decent upgrade, but you'll not notice any difference in Windows, I'd be surprised if CSGO or games of that nature also showed any improvement.

The upgrade will be more about what's possible graphically. So things that were gpu limited before, forcing lower settings in order to maintain playable fps, those will see a big improvement unless also cpu bound.

As the saying goes, results may vary. There's a couple games I play that showed zero fps gains, but a large bump graphically when moving from a gtx970 to a 2070Super, fps didn't move because I could now bump the graphics from low to ultra, but that also puts a higher strain on the cpu. On the one hand it giveth, on the other it taketh away lol. Net gain is much better gaming experience, because the visuals are so much better, even if the fps is still not that great.

Yes as the card gets more powerful you have to turn up the detail or you can get the cpu bottlenecking. I looked at a calculator online, and though they may not always be accurate, it shows the ryzen 3600 should pair well with it. I think at some point though I’ll go 1440p from 1080.

My AsRock b350 board shows another update that will allow to update to a ryzen 5000 series cpu, so I think at some point maybe an upgrade to a ryzen 5700x could be a good upgrade to finish get the last upgrade out of my system from 2017-18. Though I will probably upgrade to a 32gb ram kit as well. pretty amazing when you think of a 5 year old system that is comparable to the latest out there. I hope amd continues that tradition because they probably built up a lot of good will with customers that way. It all works out though because my wife’s home office pc is an old Dell with an i7 3770. So I’ll probably save some of my old parts and start a rebuild in a smaller form factor.

TRENDING THREADS