Will GTX 750 ti and Intel core 2 duo work well together?

Bubble_Double

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
So, i'm going to buy a GTX 750 TI for christmas, but then i was thinking, what if my CPU will bottleneck my gpu, i mean, will it ultra bottleneck my gpu, or just a little bit, like, i want to get like, 50-60 fps in gta 5 high settings, or run Rainbow six seige at 50-60 fps. Will my cpu just bottleneck my gpu, so it would make gta 5 run at 30 fps? I'd like some suggestions if i should but a new cpu (if i buy one it will probably be Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz)

Solution
As others have said, it's a bit of putting good money after bad. That series of chipset, cpu etc is too outdated for many new games. The 750ti is an older budget card now as well however it competes fairly evenly with an hd7850, even a tad faster than the amd card. My core 2 duo e8400 oc'd to 3.6ghz was bottlenecking the hd7850 a bit. Safe to say your core 2 duo would bottleneck the 750ti a bit also.

A core 2 quad q6600 is listed as the min requirements for gtaV and the 750ti surpasses the min requirements. Just keep in mind if you are able to swap your core 2 duo for the q6600 that minimum requirements just means the game will run, not run well and not at 50-60fps with high settings. You might have to turn settings down to low or...
Your CPU will not allow 50-60fps in GTA V, regardless of what GPU you have. I can't tell you what you'll get, but Core2Duo is less than half as fast as the minimum CPU requirements for the game. You can try it, but you might not even get 30fps.

Bubble_Double

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016

What if i overclock my cpu??

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

dont buy anything less than GTX 950 today .... and if you want to get a new CPU start from i3 6100 and B150 mobo

You might get 10-20% extra performance, so you might be closer to half of the game's minimum requirements. It'll still run terribly.

Again, you're welcome to try, but expect a very poor experience. You're expecting to play one of the most demanding games on hardware more than a decade old.

As others have said, it's a bit of putting good money after bad. That series of chipset, cpu etc is too outdated for many new games. The 750ti is an older budget card now as well however it competes fairly evenly with an hd7850, even a tad faster than the amd card. My core 2 duo e8400 oc'd to 3.6ghz was bottlenecking the hd7850 a bit. Safe to say your core 2 duo would bottleneck the 750ti a bit also.

A core 2 quad q6600 is listed as the min requirements for gtaV and the 750ti surpasses the min requirements. Just keep in mind if you are able to swap your core 2 duo for the q6600 that minimum requirements just means the game will run, not run well and not at 50-60fps with high settings. You might have to turn settings down to low or low/med and settle for closer to 30fps.

Rainbow six siege calls for an i3 min and windows 7 or newer 64bit. The 750ti will be closer to min spec requirements. Take this with a grain of salt, supposedly this is someone playing rss on a q6600 with a 750 gpu. I say 'supposedly' because it's not my video and I can't verify the hardware actually used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyApwD65Bj8

Someone here also claims to be running rss with a q6600 with details turned down and fps around the 50's.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/359550/discussions/0/357287935557626162/

The games might play with an upgrade to a q6600 if you can get one cheap. I wouldn't invest a ton of money into that system, it's not getting any newer. Might be better off putting the money toward an i3 6100 skylake system.

Solution