[SOLVED] Will GTX1660 Super work with my system

Jan 25, 2020
Hello everyone!
I have been using my gaming computer since 2013 and I decided that I should upgrade it little by little. I decided that I should upgrade my gpu first cause when playing I never get high fps or high quality visuals and also while gaming I never see my cpu being used 100% so I tought I would upgrade my system beginning with the GPU. I picked GTX 1660S as an upgrade but can you tell me lf it would work on my mobo, in my system?

Motherboard: Gigabyte h77-ds3h
HDD: 1TB Seagate SV35
SSD: Team Xtreem S2 120GB Sata3 SSD (TMSSDS2- 120G)
CPU: Intel i7-3770
Powersupply: Coolermaster RS-500-PCAP-I3 (integrated in my pc case)

Solution
Depressing what card you select, my EVGA 1660 super is very small. Impressive for a card that can about equal a gtx 1070.

This thread may give more insight. The guy was asking about a 1660 ti. But The 1660 ti is not much faster than 1660 super. Maybe 5-10%>. So most of the discussion probably applies here. Effectively, looks like you will have some CPU bottleneck going and lose a little performance. But you might be able to alleviate some of that via the settings you use.

Depressing what card you select, my EVGA 1660 super is very small. Impressive for a card that can about equal a gtx 1070.

This thread may give more insight. The guy was asking about a 1660 ti. But The 1660 ti is not much faster than 1660 super. Maybe 5-10%>. So most of the discussion probably applies here. Effectively, looks like you will have some CPU bottleneck going and lose a little performance. But you might be able to alleviate some of that via the settings you use.

Reactions: ozan99ok
Solution
You certainly can. I would suggest a second look at the super. I don't know about pricing in your region, but in the USA, the 1660 costs about 200 dollars. The 1660 super costs 230 dollars. So not much more, but performs almost as well as the 1660ti which is 280 dollars.

I have the 1660 super, and for me, I figured for the extra performance, if I was spending that amount, might as well spend a little more for the better performance.

Reactions: ozan99ok

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hello everyone!
I have been using my gaming computer since 2013 and I decided that I should upgrade it little by little. I decided that I should upgrade my gpu first cause when playing I never get high fps or high quality visuals and also while gaming I never see my cpu being used 100% so I tought I would upgrade my system beginning with the GPU. I picked GTX 1660S as an upgrade but can you tell me lf it would work on my mobo, in my system?

Motherboard: Gigabyte h77-ds3h
HDD: 1TB Seagate SV35
SSD: Team Xtreem S2 120GB Sata3 SSD (TMSSDS2- 120G)
CPU: Intel i7-3770
Powersupply: Coolermaster RS-500-PCAP-I3 (integrated in my pc case)
If I were you, I wouldn't risk putting a 1660 super in that pc, with that PSU giving power to it. Buy a quality unit first.

Jan 25, 2020
If I were you, I wouldn't risk putting a 1660 super in that pc, with that PSU giving power to it. Buy a quality unit first.
Hmmm you are right, first I should be Upgrading the PSU then. I also though about being bottlenecked but I thought I would optimize it by using settings to lower cpu load and maybe in 2 or 3 years I will change motherboard and also cpu cause they are kinda ancient tech :D

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hmmm you are right, first I should be Upgrading the PSU then. I also though about being bottlenecked but I thought I would optimize it by using settings to lower cpu load and maybe in 2 or 3 years I will change motherboard and also cpu cause they are kinda ancient tech :D
Yes sadly there will be some bottlenecking, but I don't expect it to be that big. As for the 1660 super, buy at least a 550w quality PSU. If you want some recommendations tell me.

Jan 25, 2020
Yes sadly there will be some bottlenecking, but I don't expect it to be that big. As for the 1660 super, buy at least a 550w quality PSU. If you want some recommendations tell me.
I would really appreciate that! Btw do you really think that would be a great problem? Or would my system compensate it?

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
I would really appreciate that! Btw do you really think that would be a great problem? Or would my system compensate it?
Yes a bad PSU is a huge problem. The PSU is the lifeblood of a computer. You should never cheap out on a PSU. Here are a few good units:
Corsair TX550M
EVGA SUPERNOVA G3 550
SEASONIC FOCUS PLUS GOLD 550W
Seasonic Prime Ultra 550W Gold