[SOLVED] Will having to enter a new windows key wipe any data?

Hunter1122

Reputable
Sep 22, 2016
I have a PC that was built a while ago for me by a friend, and they used an Ebay windows key. It's finally been deactivated by Microsoft, and I just wanted to ensure that using a new (real) licence key on it will just change it to activated again, without removing any personal data/settings/etc. Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
I have a PC that was built a while ago for me by a friend, and they used an Ebay windows key. It's finally been deactivated by Microsoft, and I just wanted to ensure that using a new (real) licence key on it will just change it to activated again, without removing any personal data/settings/etc. Thanks!
Application of a new valid license key will NOT wipe any data.
It just Activates the current install.

I did exactly this a month ago.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Application of a new valid license key will NOT wipe any data.
It just Activates the current install.

I did exactly this a month ago.

Hunter1122

Reputable
Sep 22, 2016
It was from actual Microsoft, just the key came from grey market. Thanks for the info! I assumed nothing would be wiped, but wanted confirmation.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS