[SOLVED] Will hdmi 2.0 cable give 144hz for gaming..?

mcr1324

Reputable
Aug 15, 2017
I was wondering if I was to buy an hdmi 2.0 cable that advertises 144hz if I would actually get that on my monitor or just the standard hdmi 60hz it usually is..I was always under the impression that hdmi doesn’t go past 60hz is why I ask..my monitor isn’t working with the display port and only hdmi seems to work now..instead of buying a new monitor I figured maybe I can get around that and just buy a high end hdmi cable and still get the 144hz for gaming..ty for any help, sry this is long..

Jan 27, 2021
I would get a quality 8k cable, short, at a local store. (lifetime warrantee, take back to store if problem, no mail-order wait or shipping $$$) . Just got one myself.

You won't have to upgrade as soon and it's only, say $10 more, you'll save money because I bet this ain't your last PC or TV ever.

Also: 1/2 the cables out there are phake phony fake counterfeits. You can't just trust to mail order that kind of thing from (any seller) from far away.

My dad bought a expensive HDMI cable back in like year 200x when LED were just becoming popular (i balked then he could get one for $10 and $50 was a rip-off price). It still works for his recent upgrade to 4k. Looks like I'm the fool not him!

Reactions: AlexTheFern

mcr1324

Reputable
Aug 15, 2017
Ty everyone for the responses..my monitor is like 2 years old so I doubt it supports it..I wasn’t sure if I just needed to buy the cable and then I’m good or what, but looks like u need a special monitor to use it..my display port stopped working so that’s why I’m even asking about the hdmi..it looks like I just have to buy another monitor if I’m gunna get my 144 refresh rate, so I’ll go easy on the FPS gaming until then lol..ty though appreciate the insight..

ASK THE COMMUNITY