[SOLVED] Will hdmi 2.0 cable give 144hz for gaming..?

mcr1324

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
I was wondering if I was to buy an hdmi 2.0 cable that advertises 144hz if I would actually get that on my monitor or just the standard hdmi 60hz it usually is..I was always under the impression that hdmi doesn’t go past 60hz is why I ask..my monitor isn’t working with the display port and only hdmi seems to work now..instead of buying a new monitor I figured maybe I can get around that and just buy a high end hdmi cable and still get the 144hz for gaming..ty for any help, sry this is long..

Solution
It depends on the monitors resolution.
1080 is not a problem - but please keep in mind the monitor must also support the refresh rate over HDMI. Many do not!

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
I would get a quality 8k cable, short, at a local store. (lifetime warrantee, take back to store if problem, no mail-order wait or shipping $$$) . Just got one myself.

You won't have to upgrade as soon and it's only, say $10 more, you'll save money because I bet this ain't your last PC or TV ever.

Also: 1/2 the cables out there are phake phony fake counterfeits. You can't just trust to mail order that kind of thing from (any seller) from far away.

My dad bought a expensive HDMI cable back in like year 200x when LED were just becoming popular (i balked then he could get one for $10 and $50 was a rip-off price). It still works for his recent upgrade to 4k. Looks like I'm the fool not him!

Reactions: AlexTheFern

mcr1324

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
Ty everyone for the responses..my monitor is like 2 years old so I doubt it supports it..I wasn’t sure if I just needed to buy the cable and then I’m good or what, but looks like u need a special monitor to use it..my display port stopped working so that’s why I’m even asking about the hdmi..it looks like I just have to buy another monitor if I’m gunna get my 144 refresh rate, so I’ll go easy on the FPS gaming until then lol..ty though appreciate the insight..