[SOLVED] will hdmi to dvi work for 2nd monitor on ryzen 3200g build?

Jun 17, 2019
Hi so apparently ryzen builds dont allow for dvi cable displays, i am wanting to get a 2nd monitor and am using hdmi for my main display and have no display port available as i dont have a gpu but my 2nd monitor does have HDMI and i obviously have a spare DVI.

If i buy a HDMI to DVI adapter cable will it display my 2nd monitor, or will the fact that dvi isnt supported with ryzen mean that i cant do that?

Solution
HDMI 1.2a is electrically equivalent to single-link DVI plus digital audio on one cable, so any simple pin-adapter will only allow up to 1080p @ 60Hz. If you are OK with this and can use the analog speaker outs, then an adapter to DVI should work for you... at least as single monitor.

The problem is the motherboard's HDMI and DVI may actually share the signal so you could only use one of them at a time. Not supporting DVI likely isn't a big deal as that's identical to older HDMI--the question is can your motherboard use both outputs at the same time?
HDMI 1.2a is electrically equivalent to single-link DVI plus digital audio on one cable, so any simple pin-adapter will only allow up to 1080p @ 60Hz. If you are OK with this and can use the analog speaker outs, then an adapter to DVI should work for you... at least as single monitor.

The problem is the motherboard's HDMI and DVI may actually share the signal so you could only use one of them at a time. Not supporting DVI likely isn't a big deal as that's identical to older HDMI--the question is can your motherboard use both outputs at the same time?

Solution