[SOLVED] Will high refresh rate monitor work with cheap hardware?

zorrohere

Honorable
Aug 22, 2017
I have GA-H81M-S gigabyte motherboard, i5-4460, Corsair VS650, Gigabyte nVidia GT 740 graphics card and two 8GB HyperX HX318C10F/8 memory stick. Right now I have dual monitor setup with FHD and HD(ACER H193HQV) monitors. HD monitor is old and has been repaired twice, it has again started failing to start quickly(Indicator blinks for a while before starting), so I would like to replace it.

Now problem is I don't want to upgrade my whole setup right now but in future I would like to have 3-4 monitor setup. I don't play games much and don't really need high refresh monitor but in rare cases I can use it to fix high refresh monitor specific issues in work. So my question is will a high refresh monitor work with current setup? Will it work at higher refresh rate or both monitors need to beof same refresh rate? (I also doubt my hardware will support high refresh rate). Also, how can I check maximum resolution supported by my hardware?

A side question, right now if I have both monitors on then Prime Video doesn't stream HD content if it is DRM protected, is it because my HD monitor is old or is it because it is connected over VGA? Will new monitor fix this issue?

Solution
So my question is will a high refresh monitor work with current setup? Will it work at higher refresh rate or both monitors need to beof same refresh rate? (I also doubt my hardware will support high refresh rate). Also, how can I check maximum resolution supported by my hardware?
You can have one connected to the igpu (mobo output) and one to the gpu, that way you can have wildly different setups and there can't be any conflicts because there are two different cards.
You can look up spec sheets in google for both the gt 740 and the iGPU
Intel states them on their CPU page
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...5-4460-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz.html
And so does nvidia for their GPUs...
So my question is will a high refresh monitor work with current setup? Will it work at higher refresh rate or both monitors need to beof same refresh rate? (I also doubt my hardware will support high refresh rate). Also, how can I check maximum resolution supported by my hardware?
You can have one connected to the igpu (mobo output) and one to the gpu, that way you can have wildly different setups and there can't be any conflicts because there are two different cards.
You can look up spec sheets in google for both the gt 740 and the iGPU
Intel states them on their CPU page
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...5-4460-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz.html
And so does nvidia for their GPUs.
A side question, right now if I have both monitors on then Prime Video doesn't stream HD content if it is DRM protected, is it because my HD monitor is old or is it because it is connected over VGA? Will new monitor fix this issue?
It's probably because it sees the second monitor connected, it can't tell if this is a copy tool like a elgato so it just doesn't play the video to protect it.

Reactions: zorrohere
Solution