[SOLVED] Will I able to edit some music videos with this PC specs?

fra9618

Prominent
May 7, 2020
Hi guys ,
I'm new here, nice to meet you all.

I would know If my Pc is able to render Full HD (1080p), 60 FPS videos, recorded with "old" entry level reflex cameras by Canon ( color correction and grading, blurs,video transitions etc.).

For instance:
I normally use the free trial software Hitfilm Express 13, and with it, I can render 720p, 60 fps videos from my 13 MP smartphone camera to my PC.
I would also appreciate more advice about the reflex models because I don't know anything about cameras and I'm a total rookie in this world.
I would like to make some basic music videos. With my pre-built PC I usually make music production and I'm tired to use my phone to record videos while I'm singing. At the same time, I don't want to spend more than 250€ for used stuff (270 $,I'm from Italy) or 400 € for something new (433$).

My PC is a pre-built, Lenovo ideacentre 300-20ish, desktop computer, and the specs are:

Thank you some much,
and greetings from Italy! ;)

Solution
I've edited and rendered GoPro videos shot at 1080p/60 with my MacBook Pro from 2013 which has an i5 and only 4GB RAM. Like ScrewySqrl mentioned, rendering would be faster on something high end but I don't think it will be a problem for you because you have plenty of RAM and a discrete graphics card which might help render certain effects but I'm not too familiar with your editing software.

If your 1TB hard drive is not an SSD, consider picking up a 250GB or so SSD and install your OS on it and then save your video files on the 1TB, everything will run faster if you use an SSD.

One note on the camera selection - I don't see on Nikon's site indicated that the D3500 has a microphone input; will you be recording in the field or only...

fra9618

Prominent
May 7, 2020
you should be able to edit video just fine with that.

Rendering would be faster with a more powerful gpu or cpu, but what you have will certainly work just fine for editing music videos,

Thank you very much for your reply ScrewSqrl! I have a last doubt about my PC: Will I able to render also 1080p, 60 fps, videos recorded with a Nikon D3500 18/55 VR? Which, from what I understand, is a quite new entry level reflex.

jonbuder

Commendable
May 3, 2020
I've edited and rendered GoPro videos shot at 1080p/60 with my MacBook Pro from 2013 which has an i5 and only 4GB RAM. Like ScrewySqrl mentioned, rendering would be faster on something high end but I don't think it will be a problem for you because you have plenty of RAM and a discrete graphics card which might help render certain effects but I'm not too familiar with your editing software.

If your 1TB hard drive is not an SSD, consider picking up a 250GB or so SSD and install your OS on it and then save your video files on the 1TB, everything will run faster if you use an SSD.

One note on the camera selection - I don't see on Nikon's site indicated that the D3500 has a microphone input; will you be recording in the field or only indoors? If only indoors and near the computer you're using to record audio presently, you'll want to keep using your current microphone setup. If in the field, you'll want an external audio recorder and a mic (probably a lavalier) with good wind protection.

Many people sync audio and video by using a hand clap at the beginning of the "take" to visually look for the spike on the audio waveform display.

Reactions: fra9618
Solution
Thank you very much for your reply ScrewSqrl! I have a last doubt about my PC: Will I able to render also 1080p, 60 fps, videos recorded with a Nikon D3500 18/55 VR? Which, from what I understand, is a quite new entry level reflex.
Do you maybe mean edit them in real time? Because probably no you won't.But not in real time there are no minimums, basically you can edit any video on any system as long as you are patient enough.

Reactions: fra9618