[SOLVED] Will I be able to just drop a 5000 series cpu into my B550?

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished
So I bought a B550 in anticipation for ryzen 5000 series. I plan on getting the 5900x. I thought that I would just be able to drop a 5000 series cpu in and it would be fine. However, articles are coming out saying a bios update is required... I Have a 1700 which isnt compatible with the B550 so what am I supposed to do? Is my motherboard ready for ryzen 5000 or do I need to like lend a 3000 series cpu or something? My motherboard is an msi b550m pro-vdh. https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-5000-bios-updates-are-live-now/

The motherboard will need a BIOS update because well, you can't really have BIOS compatibility when the part doesn't exist. If the motherboard has a "USB BIOS Flashback" feature, then you may be able update it without a compatible CPU. Otherwise you'll need one.

AMD seems to still have a short-term CPU loan program (described in https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100), but it's only for boards needing an update for Zen 2 processor compatibility and so far they haven't announced anything similar for Zen 3 compatible boards.

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished
The motherboard will need a BIOS update because well, you can't really have BIOS compatibility when the part doesn't exist. If the motherboard has a "USB BIOS Flashback" feature, then you may be able update it without a compatible CPU. Otherwise you'll need one.

AMD seems to still have a short-term CPU loan program (described in https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100), but it's only for boards needing an update for Zen 2 processor compatibility and so far they haven't announced anything similar for Zen 3 compatible boards.
Sucks that amd doesnt really seem to think of their consumers on older hardware. So a USB BIOS flashback would just be like me putting the bios on a usb and plugging it into the motherboard? it would just update automatically? typically when I update my bios I have to go into the UEFI and click it. It has a button on the back so would that be what could flash the bios wqith no cpu? I hope they do the cpu loan program still. If not ill probably just buy a 3600 on amazon and return it. That could work, still annoying though

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished
The above is incorrect (except for B450/X470)... your B550 motherboard should at least POST on it's shipping BIOS with a 5000 series CPU installed. Once it POST's you can then install the latest BIOS available to get full optimizations for your CPU.

X570 boards seem less likely to POST...but they've been out a lot longer and most people who have them in use can do the update before swapping. Check it out HERE for more details.
Great to hear. Aslong as it will post that's fine. Thanks alot, looking forward to getting the 5900x (if they don't sell out instantly...) 😂

Wolfshadw

Titan
The above is incorrect (except for B450/X470)... your B550 motherboard should at least POST on it's shipping BIOS with a 5000 series CPU installed. Once it POST's you can then install the latest BIOS available to get full optimizations for your CPU.

X570 boards seem less likely to POST...but they've been out a lot longer and most people who have them in use can do the update before swapping. Check it out HERE for more details.

Reading through the linked article seems to state the opposite. You need to latest BIOS in order to drop in a 5000 series processor.

but armed with the latest BIOS update for your X570, B550, or A520 motherboard, you should be able to POST with a Zen 3 CPU.

if you own a motherboard based on AMD's X570, A520, or B550 chipset, you can prep your PC for a drop-in upgrade with a BIOS update.

here are the specific model names, each one linked to where you can download the latest BIOS version

All this tells me that a BIOS update IS required before installing a 5000 series CPU.

-Wolf sends

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished
Reading through the linked article seems to state the opposite. You need to latest BIOS in order to drop in a 5000 series processor.

All this tells me that a BIOS update IS required before installing a 5000 series CPU.

-Wolf sends
Huh okay. So no motherboards there listed are just plug and play ready for 5000? I've been reading so many articles this is all very confusing 😂😂

Wolfshadw

Titan
None that I can see (didn't look at all). The board you purchased doesn't (at the time of this writing) doesn't even have a BIOS update for the 5th Gen Ryzen processors, so I would say that an update would be required.
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B550M-PRO-VDH#support-cpu

Typically, they would state in the BIOS update description that the update would be to support the next generation processors.

-Wolf sends

Notice it says

-Wolf sends
Yeah..the language is confusing. But the upshot I get is the bios it comes with will at least let it POST. You're definitely updating BIOS to get it to run right.

If we need better clarifications I'm looking for it.

None that I can see (didn't look at all). The board you purchased doesn't (at the time of this writing) doesn't even have a BIOS update for the 5th Gen Ryzen processors, so I would say that an update would be required.

Typically, they would state in the BIOS update description that the update would be to support the next generation processors.

-Wolf sends
I guess so...when i first saw the article I think I was thinking they were only saying X570 might need it but B550's should at least POST.

It's helpful to understand that BIOS contains information on how to set up a CPU. After all, it's a requirement of x86 processors to start in Real Mode because [insert deity of worship here] knows that we still need compatibility with IBM 5150s. I'm not exactly familiar with the intimacies of modern x86 boot processes, but I'm pretty certain that the CPUID is pinged and the BIOS will configure the processor from there based on what it reports back.

Also just because a motherboard has compatibility with future processors doesn't mean that board is compatible out of the box if you buy it after said processors are released. Stores may still have boards with the old BIOS version and they're not going to crack open the box to get it up to date.

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished

-Wolf sends

So I just downloaded the new bios onto a usb and pressed the flash bios button but it only flashes for aslong as i hold the button. i heard it should take like 5 mins after pressing the button correct? Ive never used a flash bios button before idk if its flashed successfully or what

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished
Never used it either. MSI's web site seems to be under construction as it's having some issues at the moment. If the BIOS button doesn't appear to be working, then I would probably try using M-Flash.

-Wolf sends
yeah the bios flash led isnt blinking and im getting no usb drive activity when i press the bios flash button. imma just go to best buy and buy a 3000 series cpu, update bios, and return it

AMD has been adding support to at least allow posting and booting for a while for the 5000 series. Any BIOS with a AGESA 1.0.8.0 version will boot a 5000 series and these BIOS's have been available for a while from most manufactures and new boards shipping in the past while should have it as well. This is to avoid the step up problem of needing an older CPU. AMD has made this available since the summer.

InvalidError

Titan
The motherboard will need a BIOS update because well, you can't really have BIOS compatibility when the part doesn't exist.
Ryzen 5000 uses the same IOD as the 3000 series, so it shouldn't take much to set the rest of the CPU in "limp mode" so it can at least get to BIOS for BIOS update, which is more or less what AMD said it was going to do. Still need a sufficiently recent AGESA version for that 5000-series limp mode though.