Question Will I be able to play top end games without problems with this build?

Sep 3, 2023
I have the following build:

Power Supply - Cooler Master i700 - 700W
Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0
GPU - ASUS Geforce GTX 770 DirectCU II OC 2GB DDR5
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz

I'm thinking about replacing just the GTX 770 GPU with RTX 3070 while keeping everything else the same

Do you think this will be OK to run top end games without hiccups or would I have to invest in a new motherboard, CPU and RAM etc to play those new games?

Top end no, Im sure Starfield and The Last of Us will cook that poor little 965, it probably wouldn't start on that CPU since its missing some instructions anyway. I would not pair a 3070 with that rig, that 770 is already pushing the limits of the CPU, 3070 wouldn't even get you more FPS.

Time to build something newer, doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, even Ryzen 1st gen like a R5 1600 or Intel i7 8700 a board and some ram with that 770 will probably perform better than your current configuration.

Good Lcuk!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamer10
Have to agree to play newest games even IF these parts could, your parts hit the wall with SSE 1-4 and AVX CPU instructions not being on your CPU.

Not all is lost anything up to around 2015 no problem so with than in mind and those limitations start planning your next dream machine and consider this one your back up.

Reactions: Gamer10