Will i be able to run my new processor

John562

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
Will I be able to run a i5 new processor fine on my Lenovo MAHOBAY Sandybridge H61 chipset... if yes then which one

Solution

Right, since no-one here seems to have given you the right answer, here goes. That CPU will not work in that motherboard. That motherboard and its BIOS were custom made for Lenovo and thus will not allow you to upgrade the BIOS to one compatible with an Ivy Bridge CPU. You cannot update the BIOS as some have suggested because there is no BIOS update from Lenovo for that particular model that supports 64-bit operating systems.

In short, you will need a new motherboard if you intend on using an Ivy Bridge CPU. It should also be noted that the i5 3450 is NOT 4th generation but rather it is 3rd generation...

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
To be clear, in general, changing generations of processors (Core/SandyBridge/IvyBridge/Haswell) involves a completely new socket interface (except for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge). More details:

Core series (ie, i7-950 etc) = LGA1156 socket
Sandy Bridge (ie, i7-2600) = LGA1155 socket
Ivy Bridge (ie, i7-3770) = LGA1155 socket
Haswell (ie, i7-4770) = LGA1150 socket.

So - as you can see, if you have a Sandy Bridge system, you could upgrade to an Ivy Bridge (which was a decent improvement in efficiency and processing IPC), but going to Haswell would require a whole new motherboard. According to the parts list - you don't really specify what you -have- right now, so to just go right to the top of what you could do if you're looking at an i5 series, you could probably drop in an i5-3570. I wouldn't get a -K unlocked version as I'm willing to bet that Lenovo's setup doesn't really support overclocking so don't pay that unlocked premium.

Good news is that the i5-3570 runs about 20 watts LOWER power than the Sandy Bridge parts, so your computer will run a little cooler AND a little faster. Or a lot faster depending on which Sandy Bridge i5 you currently have.

John562

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
will i be able to use this one i5 3450 3.1 Ghz.... Many threads show that an H61 chipset can only support 2nd gen i5 and i7 processors.. But this i5 3450 is 4th generation .

PLEASE HELP

Right, since no-one here seems to have given you the right answer, here goes. That CPU will not work in that motherboard. That motherboard and its BIOS were custom made for Lenovo and thus will not allow you to upgrade the BIOS to one compatible with an Ivy Bridge CPU. You cannot update the BIOS as some have suggested because there is no BIOS update from Lenovo for that particular model that supports 64-bit operating systems.

In short, you will need a new motherboard if you intend on using an Ivy Bridge CPU. It should also be noted that the i5 3450 is NOT 4th generation but rather it is 3rd generation. This is a very important distinction to make because 3rd and 4th gen CPU's have completely different sockets and are not interchangeable.

Solution