Will I be able to upgrade to multi-core?

Shazbot

Distinguished
May 8, 2004
I am looking to purchase the components for a new system. If I get an Athlon 64 3500 processor or higher and an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard, will I be able to upgrade to the upcoming AMD multi-core processors without having to buy a new motherboard? Thanks for any input on this matter.

Perhaps I should have posted this in the Mother Board section?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Shazbot on 03/17/05 01:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Shazbot

Distinguished
May 8, 2004
I think I found the answer which is yes I should be able to upgrade to multi-core with only a BIOS update. Any comments?

Dremvek

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Most reports I've read have said that AMDs will only require a BIOS update to install a dual core processor, as long as you are running a Socket 939 board. However, Intels will require a new board.

Current reporting does say that s939 boards will be compatible, after updating BIOS, with the dual core processors - your research was right. :smile:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Damn people who do their own research!

Wait ... no, damn people who <i>don't</i> do their own research. You should be applauded for answering your own question. Good job. Now lets take it one step further and see about searching <i>before</i> posting. :)

-----
200,000 miles or bust!
<pre><font color=white>Antec Sonata, 2x120mm fans, P4C 2.6GHz, Asus P4P800Dlx,
2x512MB CorsairXMS3200C2 in DC, Leadtek A6600GT TDH, 2xHitachi 60GB in RAID1</font color=white></pre><p>

G

Lol now why would he want to do that? :tongue:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

These boards would be damn near boring if EVERYONE did their research before they posted. :evil: But it is nice to see it happen every once in a while!