[SOLVED] Will I be needing a new PSU

tybear40

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016
Hello everyone
Recently I bought myself a new CPU and motherboard to replace my old one, after I installed my new CPU I realized I may be needing a new PSU to handle it

Old System:
CPU: Intel i5 7400
GPU: AMD RX 580
Storage devices:
-1TB HHD
-120GB SSD
PSU: 500 watts
Ram: 2 sticks of 8gb DDR4

New System:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU: AMD RX 580
Storage devices:
-1TB HHD
-120GB SSD
PSU: 500 watts
Ram: 2 sticks of 8gb DDR4

I ran the computer for about 4 hours before I realized this may be an issue, but I had no issues during it so I was wondering if 500 watt PSU would still be enough

Thanks

Solution
There is no label that I can find, my PSU is surrounded with parts of the case. However here is the model for the Prebuilt model PC I bought from CyberpowerPC GXiVR8020A4

From what I can see online, the PSU is this ATNG 500W 80+. It seems hard to find a PSU number online for it.

I can't find ANY information on that PSU.
Even on ATNG'S website it's non existent... they have a 400W 80+ model, with the model number ATM-400FB.
Logically I searched for the model number ATM-500FB and this came up:

ATX2PW500WH.C.jpg

It's a StarTech PSU and it's also 80+ certified(even though it doean't say literally anywhere on the label)... it's just garbage/junk quality. I have...

tybear40

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016
"500 watt PSU" doesn't tell me much.
Look on the PSU label and post the exact model.
I can’t access it right now, it was from a prebuilt pc and the label is stuck behind some part of the case, I would have to take apart my entire PC to find it. Why does the exact model matter?

I can’t access it right now, it was from a prebuilt pc and the label is stuck behind some part of the case, I would have to take apart my entire PC to find it. Why does the exact model matter?

Because it can be a really low quality 500W unit, that's outright dangerous to run anything or a great quality model.

The power output doesn't matter as much as the efficiency, topology, voltage stability, etc. of your PSU.

tybear40

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016
Because it can be a really low quality 500W unit, that's outright dangerous to run anything or a great quality model.

The power output doesn't matter as much as the efficiency, topology, voltage regulation, etc. of your PSU.
I’ll see if I can access it tomorrow, but I’ve been using this PSU for nearly 2 years and I’ve had no issues. I was just wondering if the new CPU/motherboard combo was enough to push it over the limit

I’ll see if I can access it tomorrow, but I’ve been using this PSU for nearly 2 years and I’ve had no issues. I was just wondering if the new CPU/motherboard combo was enough to push it over the limit

Well, there are some "500W" PSUs that will actually output less than that on the +12V rail(this rail is used to power your main power hungry components)... they're labeled as 500W from the combined power outputs of the +12V,+5V and +3.3V rails.

Nowadays +5V, +3.3V are not used as much and the +12V rail will give you the "real" power output number.

bignastyid

Titan
When it comes to PSU's quality is very important. A low quality PSU can turn a PC into a expensive smoking pile of ruin. 500w from a prebuilt, there's a good chance you have a timebomb, as most prebuilt companies are known for skimping on the PSU.

Also what speed is the RAM? With Ryzen you want faster ram, to get optimum performance.

Reactions: ChumP

DSzymborski

Titan

Most PSU issues are not detectable by observation. It's the equivalent of checking for heart disease by simply looking to see if the person is alive or dead. If you have a low-quality PSU, even if you haven't had a catastrophic failure, that doesn't mean it's not slowly damaging your components over time.

And what brand (and thus, which manufacturer) is very important. This is a safety part and there's more variance in manufacturing quality of PSUs than in any other PC component.

tybear40

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016
Most PSU issues are not detectable by observation. It's the equivalent of checking for heart disease by simply looking to see if the person is alive or dead. If you have a low-quality PSU, even if you haven't had a catastrophic failure, that doesn't mean it's not slowly damaging your components over time.

And what brand (and thus, which manufacturer) is very important. This is a safety part and there's more variance in manufacturing quality of PSUs than in any other PC component.
Alright thanks, but my issue is that getting a PSU right now isn't the most convenient thing for me right now. I guess I'm wondering if my issue is if this is something I could put off for a few months or if this is something I need to fix ASAP. Like if this CPU upgrade would be enough to push my PSU over its limits.

Alright thanks, but my issue is that getting a PSU right now isn't the most convenient thing for me right now. I guess I'm wondering if my issue is if this is something I could put off for a few months or if this is something I need to fix ASAP. Like if this CPU upgrade would be enough to push my PSU over its limits.

Well to answer your question we need the model of that PSU... it shouldn't be that hard really. Remove both side panels... the label should be on one of these sides.
The whole job shouldn't take you more than 5-10 minutes.

You can even take a picture of the label and post it here.

tybear40

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016
Well to answer your question we need the model of that PSU... it shouldn't be that hard really. Remove both side panels... the label should be on one of these sides.
The whole job shouldn't take you more than 5-10 minutes.

You can even take a picture of the label and post it here.
There is no label that I can find, my PSU is surrounded with parts of the case. However here is the model for the Prebuilt model PC I bought from CyberpowerPC GXiVR8020A4

From what I can see online, the PSU is this ATNG 500W 80+. It seems hard to find a PSU number online for it.

Last edited:

Even on ATNG'S website it's non existent... they have a 400W 80+ model, with the model number ATM-400FB.

ATX2PW500WH.C.jpg

It's a StarTech PSU and it's also 80+ certified(even though it doean't say literally anywhere on the label)... it's just garbage/junk quality. I have to agree with the brand name though... it can surely produce some stars inside your system.

I wouldn't trust that to be anywhere near valuable components, like you have.

Even if your PSU is indeed made by ATNG I wouldn't expect it to be any better to be honest.

If you have no possibility of replacing it, covid-19 being the cause, atleast don't try to get anywhere near maxing the RX 580 as this card power consumption can spike up to 300W.

Solution

tybear40

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016

ATX2PW500WH.C.jpg

It's a StarTech PSU and it's also 80+ certified(even though it doean't say literally anywhere on the label)... it's just garbage/junk quality. I have to agree with the brand name though... it can surely produce some stars inside your system.

I wouldn't trust that to be anywhere near valuable components, like you have.

Even if your PSU is indeed made by ATNG I wouldn't expect it to be any better to be honest.

If you have no possibility of replacing it, covid-19 being the cause, atleast don't try to get anywhere near maxing the RX 580 as this card power consumption can spike up to 300W.
Alright I'll try, but I've been using it no issue for 2 years. Do you think it'll last at least a few more months?

Alright I'll try, but I've been using it no issue for 2 years. Do you think it'll last at least a few more months?

I won't be able to tell you that... it might fail in 30 minutes or after a couple of months.
What you need to know is to change it ASAP.

A 550W great quality unit should be plenty.

I'll leave some PSU recommendations: Corsair TXM/RMx, Seasonic Focus Plus, EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 or G3, Superdlower Leadex II or III.

If you're on a tight budget the Corsair CX/CXM(2017, grey label) is solid too... just not quite on the level of the ones listed above.

Reactions: tybear40

DSzymborski

Titan

Which is a question that ranges from "your PSU is just fine" to "I wouldn't even turn on a PC with this PSU." And thus, why your exact PSU is an absolutely crucial bit of information before you do anything here.

DSzymborski

Titan

Again, you do not know there's no issue. You just know there's no issue that you can observe easily. How are you testing your VRMs and your capacitors? How are you testing the voltage regulation and ripple of your current PSU?

If you're asserting there's no issue for two years, then this is what your desk would look like to make such an assertion.

JGTesting4.jpg

Does it?

My dad died of liver disease at age 49. The problems with his liver didn't start the day that symptoms were detected; he had a problem long before that and just didn't know about it. Just because you're not seeing an obvious problem absolutely, positively does not mean that no problem exists. You've been risking the life of your components since the moment you turned this PC on. Cyberpower only cared that your PC survive for the year they provide warranty coverage.

Yes, it may not be "convenient" to have to buy a safe power supply. I find having to pay for my home's fire insurance and my car insurance to be rather inconvenient as well. I found having to pay $2K because of damage a raccoon did to my roof rather inconvenient as well.

Part of responsibly owning a PC means maintenance and upkeep. It means having proper safety equipment to keep the components from dying premature deaths.