Question Will I experience bottlenecks with new gpu? And what would you upgrade next?

Sep 15, 2022
Howdy,

I’m a simple gamer/streamer here- simple meaning I don’t know much at all if terminology regarding hardware, looking for a layman’s answer to my title. I’ll provide my components below.

1.) is there any bottleneck that will cause NO performance improvement,, or worse, a regression in performance?

2.) what SINGLE upgrade would make the single biggest improvement in overall performance from here ? What would the magnitude of such an upgrade yield?

3.) if anything problematic or incompatible about any components stands out, feel free point it out, though not my main concern in this thread ((The compatibility checkers I used didn’t really speak to the part of me seeking “laymen’s terms”. (Imagine someone who’s never serviced their own vehicle asking engine questions- I need it that simple)

Notes:

-I don’t overclock anytning
- kindly keep in mind the steaming component, as this increases demands vs playing non streaming (people in person often answer my questions forgetting this)
-not concerned about the gpu upgrade being “not worth the price for the gains achieved”, just that there isn’t an actual problem and that there is in fact an upgrade
-I want to improve graphics settings while streaming and still have 60fps as a bare minimum. Currently I can generally play at max settings with this but not always)
-I stream where my viewers see 1080p but I see 1440p

• Current gpu: nvidia 2070 super (evga)
  • New gpu: nvidia 3080 ti (legacy)
  • Primary monitor: 1440p, 144hz refresh ((Asus rog swift)
  • secondary and tertiary monitors: 1080p, 60 hz refresh (Asus eye care monitor)
  • MB: ASUS Prime Z390-A, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, ATX
  • CPU: INTEL Core™ i9-9900 8-Core 3.1 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 65W TDP,
  • RAM: G.SKILL 32GB Kit (4 x 8GB) Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200MHz, CL16, Black, RGB LED, DIMM Memory
  • PSU: EVGA 850 B5, 80 PLUS Bronze 850W, ECO Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • CPU cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 LED, 160mm Height, 150W TDP, Copper/Aluminum CPU cooler
  • SSD: Samsung evo870 4TB
  • Windows 10 Home 64-bi

thanks so much for your time and patience with my lack of pc knowldge.

Best way to answer your question: run all the games you want to play at the lowest graphics settings and note the performance. This is the maximum performance your system can achieve; you can run this with other apps running if you want a more realistic result. Then re-run the games as the graphics quality you'd like to play at. If the numbers are close, then getting a GPU upgrade won't improve performance much. At which point, you need a CPU upgrade.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX
I took a quick look at CPU performance on that 9900.

Passmark benchmark score; 16874; single thread 2862

If you wanted to upgrade it........you'd need a new CPU and a new motherboard. You might be able to keep your current RAM. You might also need a new cooler?

For maybe 500 bucks (more if you need a new cooler), you could upgrade to a suitable motherboard and an i7-12700 CPU, which has these scores on the same benchmark:

31301; single thread 3944

That's an improvement of 85%; single thread improvement 38%.

How much real-world streaming/gaming improvement you would see is another question.

Sep 15, 2022
1.) I purchased everything except the ssd exactly 2 years,3 months ago. (Custom build through Ava direct,) not sure if you’re asking the age of the parts or how long the parts have been in use.

my current ssd I purchased and installed 10 months ago.

2.) sorry for long answer but this is an area I’ve spent a lot of time researching and had issues wirh.

I have a hard time answering this. The temp never goes over 71 even high loads but sometimes I will have to lower my graphics settings due to the intense fan activity on the gpu, or if I don’t lower settings the games can experience some fps drops.

In the case of fan activity on gpu, under heavy load (I assume) in order to maintain this temp my gpu fans will go from low to. 100% as soon as it hits 71 degrees. This lasts a few seconds then it drops to low speeds. Over and over and over if it’s a high demand game. No matter the software I use I canont get fans to act more gradually rather than jumping to 100%

3.) I don’t know.. I checked out the webpage where I bought the 3080ti and no where under specs do I see anything about watts. And I don’t know how to check on my current one.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022
Howdy,

I’m a simple gamer/streamer here- simple meaning I don’t know much at all if terminology regarding hardware, looking for a layman’s answer to my title. I’ll provide my components below.

1.) is there any bottleneck that will cause NO performance improvement,, or worse, a regression in performance?

2.) what SINGLE upgrade would make the single biggest improvement in overall performance from here ? What would the magnitude of such an upgrade yield?

3.) if anything problematic or incompatible about any components stands out, feel free point it out, though not my main concern in this thread ((The compatibility checkers I used didn’t really speak to the part of me seeking “laymen’s terms”. (Imagine someone who’s never serviced their own vehicle asking engine questions- I need it that simple)

Notes:

- kindly keep in mind the steaming component, as this increases demands vs playing non streaming (people in person often answer my questions forgetting this)
-not concerned about the gpu upgrade being “not worth the price for the gains achieved”, just that there isn’t an actual problem and that there is in fact an upgrade
-I want to improve graphics settings while streaming and still have 60fps as a bare minimum. Currently I can generally play at max settings with this but not always)

• RAM: G.SKILL 32GB Kit (4 x 8GB) Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200MHz, CL16, Black, RGB LED, DIMM Memory
  • PSU: EVGA 850 B5, 80 PLUS Bronze 850W, ECO Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • CPU cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 LED, 160mm Height, 150W TDP, Copper/Aluminum CPU cooler
  • Windows 10 Home 64-bi

thanks so much for your time and patience with my lack of pc knowledge.

In my personal opinion, your build looks decent on paper and should be sufficient for your need. The addition of 3080ti should be good for 1440p gaming at-60fps or higher and encoding/streaming at 1080p -60fps. Looks solid on paper.

At this point, my personal suggestion would be to hold that urge to spend, and just setup the new gpu with your streaming setup and check results and post your experience.

One suggestion i would like to provide is, not to do too much of benchmarking and using your pc for your needs because benchmarking results will always find a way to provide results for your PC to spend loads of money on things which were not essential for your need. However, each need is different and for your need of 1440p good graphical setting at 60fps with 1080p60fps stream, the setup looks good.

Reactions: JustinGaymeTTV
3.) I don’t know.. I checked out the webpage where I bought the 3080ti and no where under specs do I see anything about watts. And I don’t know how to check on my current one.

Those 2 figures I quoted (215 and 350) are what google told me in a 1 minute search for "watts" using those 2 video cards as search terms.

So, you may see temps go up under a good load, but not necessarily to alarm levels.

Sep 15, 2022
bare with me, quoting feature is a bit cumbersome on phone.

@Lafong, thanks for benchmarking that. If a new cou requires a new motherboard, I’ll just try the gpu and see how that goes. Less about the money for me and more that I have zero interest (for the better trust me) in opening my case, and learning how to install a motherboard and attach all these things. That’s way over ny capability. So thanks for the info.

@rz101 yea, I’ll try the gpu and go from there. I am not seeking to upgrade anything else now nexessarily, was just curious if anything stood out as needing an upgrade to better maintain my minimum 60fps standards at max.

and I agree with the benchmarking. I don’t really use the tool much just wanted to make sure I did basic homework before coming here.

edit to add: you really hit the nail on the head with answering my question using the words I know the meaning of, thank you.

Your CPU is quite strong...near the top of the heap when it was introduced spring 2019. Quite possible it will remain adequate for several more years.

I'd keep an eye on temps if you get a new graphics card. Maybe raise your eyebrows if you get up into the 80s.

A replacement better cooler might cost you 75 on up; plus labor for whoever you hire.

You have plenty of RAM.

850 watt PSU should be "enough", but I don't know about the quality of that particular unit.

Sep 15, 2022
Your CPU is quite strong...near the top of the heap when it was introduced spring 2019. Quite possible it will remain adequate for several more years.

I'd keep an eye on temps if you get a new graphics card. Maybe raise your eyebrows if you get up into the 80s.

A replacement better cooler might cost you 75 on up; plus labor for whoever you hire.

You have plenty of RAM.

850 watt PSU should be "enough", but I don't know about the quality of that particular unit.

What watt psu reccomendations do you have in mind? (Not minimum requirement). I did some researching before buying and didn’t see any numbers that concerned me with the PSU, but I’m wondering if you have better information that I didn’t see.

What watt psu reccomendations do you have in mind? (Not minimum requirement). I did some researching before buying and didn’t see any numbers that concerned me with the PSU, but I’m wondering if you have better information that I didn’t see.

Not particularly concerned about watts or numbers.

More about quality........I have NO idea about the quality of that specific PSU. Could be good, average, or worse.

Sep 15, 2022
Not particularly concerned about watts or numbers.

More about quality........I have NO idea about the quality of that specific PSU. Could be good, average, or worse.

gorcha! Thanks for your answers about my hardware. Makes me feel like I made decent choices when customizing about what parts to sink money into vs what could be held back on.

Sep 15, 2022
850 PSU is sufficient for your build. Especially because you already have a PSU which is sufficient.

I think for your needs your build is sufficient. If you have extra cash and want to upgrade other parts too then that is a different thing. However, upgrading from your current build means your need changes to 4k gaming or that urge to spend unnecessary cash.

So i will not deviate too much from here. The best thing you can do is get the card and post your results. Some hardcore experts might suggest rtx 3080ti may suffer some bottleneck technically on paper, however , for your need it is sufficient because of its price to performance ratio and you should not feel any issues while using your pc.

Your build is sufficient for 1440p gaming and streaming.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

Upgrading to a 3080ti will improve your graphics capability.
The question is by how much. I am guessing you will be pleased with the ability to use higher settings.
Here is a general guideline on how strong a psu you might need:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
It says 750w for a 3080ti.
There is a possible catch though. Apparently 3000 class cards can have power spikes well in excess of the nominal requirement.
Your psu is of average quality and may well do the job.
I would plan on using it.
If you have any issues with the new card, then possibly a psu upgrade might be in order.
I would be looking at a quality unit stronger than 850w.
950w or even up to 1200w.
Often there is minimal price differences as you go from 750 to 850 to 950w...
A psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

The easiest way to estimate quality is to look at the warranty.
Look for at least 7 years, some may be 12 years.

Run HWmonitor while you are heavily loaded.
Look at the max cpu temperature.
If you see 100c. in red on any cores, it means that you temporarily throttled and recovered.
In that case, a better cooler is in order. Hyper212 is popular because it is cheap, but there are better coolers.

No doubt, a better processor will help, but by how much, I can't tell.
Perhaps a back handed way to guess would be to use windows power management and cap the cpu performance at 80%.
See how that impacts you.
If it hurts much, then you are a candidate for a stronger cpu.

I would not upgrade today.
Within the month, Intel will launch the 13th gen series with much better per core performance.
You will be able to reuse your DDR4 ram, but will need a new motherboard.

Howdy,

Notes:

• Windows 10 Home 64-bi

thanks so much for your time and patience with my lack of pc knowldge.
Yes there will be times when you are CPU bound but I wouldn't upgrade that CPU. Of more concern would be the fact the Hyper 212 is adequate, if it is then sounds like you have power limits in place, therefore the CPU is not hitting it's max all core boost speed for sustained periods.