Will I fry the r5 1600 at 3.60 GHz?

metalheadparanoic

Prominent
Mar 26, 2018
Yeah, it may sound awkard, but I'm concerned about this. I wanna keep the r5 1600 at 3.6 Ghz and 1.25 V and the RAM at 2400-2666 for about 3 years, and I kinda don't want to cut their lifespan. My temps are 30-45 Idle and 55-65 or 75 Load ( when using AIDA64) with the Stock Cooler.
Can I stay with this settings for 3 years or I have to lower the frequencies after some time?

Solution
Unless you have a dangerously high voltage (you don't) there's no need to worry about damaging the CPU. If you have a bit more room thermally then you could probably get to 3.8 around 1.3V and still not have to worry about it for longer then 3 years. Max voltage for at least a few years is 1.4V, some have gone higher but I wouldn't really recommend it.

What is your RAM stock speed?

WildCard999

Titan
Unless you have a dangerously high voltage (you don't) there's no need to worry about damaging the CPU. If you have a bit more room thermally then you could probably get to 3.8 around 1.3V and still not have to worry about it for longer then 3 years. Max voltage for at least a few years is 1.4V, some have gone higher but I wouldn't really recommend it.

What is your RAM stock speed?

Solution

metalheadparanoic

Prominent
Mar 26, 2018

Yes, i do have a habit of pushing things to their limit.

Edit: although it was the motherboard VRMs dying on my i5 build, not the cpu. That being because i used cheap a Gigabyte Z97P-D3.
Best 80€ motherboard ever though, allowed 4.8GHz stable for nearly 3 years before the VRMs degraded to the point where they could no longer provide enough power for 4.8GHz, at which point i upgraded.

WildCard999

Titan

I just thought it was kind of funny but yea after that amount of time I could see a issue with the VRM's. And while I'm sure going above 1.4V would be ok the OP would probably need to consider better cooling then stock.

TRENDING THREADS