Question Will i get a bottleneck if i use the nvidia geforce gtx 1070 ti with a intel core i5-3470

SilverCat486

Prominent
Jul 26, 2021
Hello, I was wondering If I'd get a bottleneck if i use the GeForce GTX 1070 ti with a intel core i5-3470 my specs are listed below
GPU (MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Aero 8gb)
CPU (Intel Core i5-2470 3.20ghz)
RAM (20GB DDR3)
PSU (500W Thermaltake SMART SERIES)
OS (Windows 11 Pro)

It depends on the games you want and at what settings. Go run the games you want to run at their lowest settings and note the performance. This is the maximum the system can do. If this is not satisfactory, then you'll need to upgrade the system.

I'm also sure someone's going to comment about the PSU.

im also trying to figure out which is true because some sites say it has a 50 percent bottleneck and other say it has 0
Ignore those sites, because they give little helpful information. For instance, if you were running at 1080p with this combination, sure the 1070 Ti might not be able to perform as fast as it could. But the moment you bump up the resolution to 4K, the 1070 Ti is now struggling to keep up. And the number can't translate to anything concrete. Does a "50% bottleneck" mean it'll only be performing half as good on average? Compared to what?

In any case, depending on what you have now, you might get an FPS boost, but at the very least, you can crank up the settings higher and not lose as much FPS if they're not at their maximum already.

Reactions: geofelt
You WILL do better, the question is by how much.
"bottleneck" calculators are junk science.

First, though, a cheap 500w psu may not suffice.
Here is a handy psu sizing chart. 1070ti is recommended 550w:

You might want to run this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.