[SOLVED] Will I get a bottleneck situation??

Solution
I'm wanting to try to run AC: Origins as my first game on this build, I know I'll probably have to find out for myself but I have an ultrawide monitor with the max resolution at 2560x1080, natively.

I don't mind lowering the graphics options, I've done that for as long as I can remember! I tried calculating the rx 5500 xt @ CanYouRunIt, and it says the GPU will probably bottleneck the CPU...

I am grabbing at theoreticals and theory here, I hope it runs good!

Right now I'm on an asus tuf laptop with a ryzen 5 3550h and an rx 560x with 8 gigs of cough slow RAM.

I can barely run AC: Origins, so fingers crossed!

The 3600 wont be bottle-necked.

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
You always want overhead room with the CPU since generally speaking the GPU will be handling most of the load.

The 5500XT is a good card for 1080P 60 FPS gaming, however if you want more then that I would suggest you look at a 1660 Super of 1660TI.

I'm wanting to try to run AC: Origins as my first game on this build, I know I'll probably have to find out for myself but I have an ultrawide monitor with the max resolution at 2560x1080, natively.

I don't mind lowering the graphics options, I've done that for as long as I can remember! I tried calculating the rx 5500 xt @ CanYouRunIt, and it says the GPU will probably bottleneck the CPU...

Right now I'm on an asus tuf laptop with a ryzen 5 3550h and an rx 560x with 8 gigs of cough slow RAM.

The 3600 wont be bottle-necked.

Reactions: anceintsz
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Does your monitor have FreeSync? If so, what's the FreeSync Range (or the brand and model number of the monitor)? The 5500XT will struggle a little with 2560x1080 in some games, particularly given that the one you linked to is a 4GB model.

For only slightly more than the cost of a 1660 Super, the 5600 XT performs better than the 1660 Super or 1660 Ti, and even edges out the RTX 2060.

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Does your monitor have FreeSync? If so, what's the FreeSync Range (or the brand and model number of the monitor)? The 5500XT will struggle a little with 2560x1080 in some games, particularly given that the one you linked to is a 4GB model.

For only slightly more than the cost of a 1660 Super, the 5600 XT performs better than the 1660 Super or 1660 Ti, and even edges out the RTX 2060.

I don't know what the freesync range is, but it does have freesync! It's an LG model. Too bad I just got in most of my parts today!

The monitor I have is this one: LG Monitor

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think it has FreeSync. I can't find it on AMD's reference, but the LG page clearly says FreeSync. Unfortunately, most of the time, LG doesn't say what the range is.

I'm not able to find the FreeSync range specs for the 29UM50-P, but I would guess it would be close to similar LG models, so, likely 40-75 or 48-75, and only on DisplayPort.

That means you can typically get away with a lower spec card, since it can keep smoothness down below the standard 60Hz refresh rate. FreeSync basically just lets the GPU adjust the monitor's refresh rate on the fly to match what the GPU is putting out.

So, in the drivers, you'd enable Chill, then set the range to max out at 60. I wouldn't try to sustain anything at 75Hz.

If you can, and you haven't opened/installed it yet, you might return the RX 5500 XT and try to get an RX 5600 XT, though it's definitely more expensive.

Reactions: anceintsz

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
I think it has FreeSync. I can't find it on AMD's reference, but the LG page clearly says FreeSync. Unfortunately, most of the time, LG doesn't say what the range is.

I'm not able to find the FreeSync range specs for the 29UM50-P, but I would guess it would be close to similar LG models, so, likely 40-75 or 48-75, and only on DisplayPort.

That means you can typically get away with a lower spec card, since it can keep smoothness down below the standard 60Hz refresh rate. FreeSync basically just lets the GPU adjust the monitor's refresh rate on the fly to match what the GPU is putting out.

So, in the drivers, you'd enable Chill, then set the range to max out at 60. I wouldn't try to sustain anything at 75Hz.

If you can, and you haven't opened/installed it yet, you might return the RX 5500 XT and try to get an RX 5600 XT, though it's definitely more expensive.

Thanks man, but I just got it today. Waiting on SSD and PC case! I always set freesync in the options but are you talking about radeon chill? I'll try that out on my rx 560x laptop

TRENDING THREADS