[SOLVED] Will I Get A Lower FPS With A 144hz Monitor??

pcbroooski

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
I have an RX 580 4GB Graphics card and am currently pulling in about 130-170 sometimes 200+ frames in games like Insurgency, Ironsight (F2P Shooter), Black Squad (F2P shooter), and about 60 fps in Black Desert Online.

I am using an old Dell 60hz monitor.

Having not used a PC in years (just bought a PC), I have lost some of my tech knowledge and savviness, I have a question.

If I was to buy a 1080p 144hz monitor, will this lower my FPS at all? Will I get a lower fps in these games, where I am currently getting decent to very good/high frames? How does the 144hz monitor work with fps? Does it change it at all? What is the connection between the two?

Would really appreciate a response. Thank you!

Solution
The monitors do not affect the performance of the games, it simply shows them to you. The hardware of your tower is what affects. If you stably exceed 60FPS in games using a 60Hz monitor you are wasting the power of your hardware since it is 'showing' the game at 60FPS and can show it to you at 144Hz. The more Hz your monitor has, the more fluid and the better you will see the images, its movement, etc ... Of course, Black Desert for example that runs it at 60FPS will still see it as you saw it before even if you have a 144Hz screen because the Game is covered (maybe you can unlock it to see 144).

What monitor are you going to buy?
Nov 12, 2019
The monitors do not affect the performance of the games, it simply shows them to you. The hardware of your tower is what affects. If you stably exceed 60FPS in games using a 60Hz monitor you are wasting the power of your hardware since it is 'showing' the game at 60FPS and can show it to you at 144Hz. The more Hz your monitor has, the more fluid and the better you will see the images, its movement, etc ... Of course, Black Desert for example that runs it at 60FPS will still see it as you saw it before even if you have a 144Hz screen because the Game is covered (maybe you can unlock it to see 144).

Reactions: pcbroooski
Solution

pcbroooski

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019

Thanks for the informative response.

Not sure which one I am going to buy, although this one looks nice.

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-C24G1-Frameless-FreeSync-adjustable/dp/B07GD7H18F/ref=nav_signin?adId=B07GD7H18F&creativeASIN=B07GD7H18F&linkId=bfd90cea559cb1c6eb26d05387b9db5e&tag=amazondnad-20&linkCode=w41&ref-refURL=https://www.displayninja.com/best-gaming-monitor/&slotNum=0&imprToken=XulKxU3JyvK2QqDHqdJCmw&adType=smart&adMode=auto&adFormat=grid&impressionTimestamp=1578950021941&th=1

TRENDING THREADS