[SOLVED] Will i get more vram memory if i solder a vram module?

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Just a question that i was thinking at 3 am. What would happen if i unsolder a vram module and buy another vram module that has more capacity then the old one and then solder the new one to the gpu, would i be able to get more vram or everything isn't going to work and would be unstable?
Btw the vram module is going to be the same chip model, just more vram then the old one.

Solution
gpu firmware will need to adress your change as ram settings are stored there, but i dont see any gtx 1050 4GB firmwares out there...1050ti has 4GB...so that could be used

USAFRet

Titan
Just a question that i was thinking at 3 am. What would happen if i unsolder a vram module and buy another vram module that has more capacity then the old one and then solder the new one to the gpu, would i be able to get more vram or everything isn't going to work and would be unstable?
Btw the vram module is going to be the same chip model, just more vram then the old one.
There is a strong likelihood you will kill the GPU in attempting the physical connection.

The BIOS ad microcode is written to speak to what it came with.
Adding more will probably cause it to simply not boot up.

Best case, you see ZERO difference.

N
Nvidia does release a 3 gb gtx 1050 in china, so i guess there is a firmware for it. Btw what's a firmware? Is it like a bios or something?
I had
I had found a 3gb GTX 1050 bios but the thing is, this is a colorful card not an Asus card so if i flash it will everything works
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/235167/235167
Reflashing your GTX 1050 2GB card with the firmware from a GTX 1050 3GB or a GTX 1050 4GB or a GTX 1050 Ti will not work. The firmware is specifically looking for what the card it's on came with. At best, you'll have a card that tries to do more than it's capable of and you end up with zero benefit. You know those fake video cards from eBay, like a GTX 550 Ti flashed to look like a GTX 960? That's what you're doing. At worst, you'll brick the card.

Stop pursuing this if you do not know how to hack up a GPU's firmware or know how to reflow a BGA chip unless you don't mind having a paper weight.

DSzymborski

Titan

This will work about as well as trying to make your Honda Civic go twice as fast by welding it to a second Honda Civic.