[SOLVED] Will I get tearing on 144Hz screen

snowy2020

Reputable
May 27, 2020
I am about to buy a laptop for gaming whilst away from home.

The one I am looking at is an HP Omen with a non-gsync 144hz screen and a RTX 2060.

I hate screen tearing and it struck me that the spec probably won't allow AAA games to run at 144fps on high settings.

So, I am guessing that running games at, say, 60fps will result in screen tearing on a 144Hz screen ?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Solution
I've been out all day and only just noticed your post @madmatt30 - That one has gone out of stock now.

I'm on the fence now between 17 and 15.6.

Here is my use case :

I'm a coder and like to game. At home I will only ever use my main rig. However, due to not fancying holidaying abroad for a while we have just bought a touring caravan and I want to be able to work and game whilst we are on holiday in it.

I have a Surface Book 1 (the one with the Nividia GPU performance base) but it's so slow and clunky and can't game.

So I want a laptop to take to the caravan at weekends basically. Space in the caravan is limited so maybe a 15 would be better.

We are only planning on going to sites that have a 240V AC supply so i'm...
I have a Dell G5 with 1080p 144Hz, 9750h and 2060 and no FreeSync/G-Sync. Depending on the game and game settings I can easily get 100-144 FPS. I don’t remember ever seeing screentearing and it used to annoy me on 60Hz screens when I saw it.

I have a gaming desktop with 1440p 144Hz and I actually have G-Sync off and don’t notice tearing on that either.

Thanks for the answers guys - I'm trying to decide between these 2 :

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...core-i7-rtx-2060-256-gb-ssd-10206002-pdt.html

and

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2S380EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

The price would work out pretty much the same by the time I have upgraded the RAM in the Acer to 16Gb and added more storage.

One is 120Hz and the other is 144Hz
You won’t notice the difference between 120Hz and 144Hz. I strongly recommend finding reviews on those specific models if you can. A very big factor is the cooling of the cpu and gpu, 2 laptops of similar spec can perform very differently if one has poor cooling. My gut feel from other models is the HP will have better cooling but do research.

Although it is a 15.6" screen compared the the 17" on the Omen - Do you think I would notice a difference ?

Obviously you will as its smaller but it depends how close you sit to the screen in all honesty.

There are refurb 17 inch models (previous gen i7, which tbh has virtually identical performance) for £1199.

Ive had 3 refurbs from laptopsdirect before, they've all been brand new / unused but just resealed.

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ref...1tb-256gb-rtx-206-a1-nh.q5qek.001/version.asp

3 month rtb warranty but can be extended to a year for £30.

I do rate them as a seller, always had sterling service from them.

snowy2020

Reputable
May 27, 2020
I've been out all day and only just noticed your post @madmatt30 - That one has gone out of stock now.

Here is my use case :

I'm a coder and like to game. At home I will only ever use my main rig. However, due to not fancying holidaying abroad for a while we have just bought a touring caravan and I want to be able to work and game whilst we are on holiday in it.

I have a Surface Book 1 (the one with the Nividia GPU performance base) but it's so slow and clunky and can't game.

So I want a laptop to take to the caravan at weekends basically. Space in the caravan is limited so maybe a 15 would be better.

We are only planning on going to sites that have a 240V AC supply so i'm not too worried about battery life.

I guess everything would look a tad sharper at 1920x1080 on a 15 as opposed to a 17 ?

Last edited:

Here is my use case :

We are only planning on going to sites that have a 240V AC supply so i'm not too worried about battery life.

I guess everything would look a tad sharper at 1920x1080 on a 15 as opposed to a 17 ?

Sharper but smaller ;-)

You always have the option to run out to a seperate monitor if you were that way inclined.

Personally I'd consider 15.6 inch big enough. There's no doubt at all the helios is a better laptop than either of the 2 you listed initially.

Both those can thermal throttle under duress, the helios simply does not,it has a way better cooling setup.

Solution