Will I harm my CPU if I use Turbo Boost and Overclocking?

Solution
That system in your description is meant for overcloking, you have one of the best closed loop coolers out, a very high end mobo, and a 4770k. In my opinion if you dont overclock that thing you will have wasted your money, a much cheaper system would have performed just as good if you plan to leave it at stock clocks.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Your cpu probably uses turbo boost by default so no on that. The only way you can damage a cpu with overcloking is if you overvolt and overclock the hell out of it then let it overheat for days, with the proper cooling overcloking on modern cpus is very safe and easy. My amd fx cpu has been sitting comfortably at 4.7ghz for almost three years.

When you overclock a Intel CPU, all your doing is adjusting the max turbo boost. The CPU will still idle at the same speed it did prior to the OC. This reduced it's power and heat output. Technically your doing more harm by disabling turbo boost and having the CPU run max speed 24x7. But Dunlop0078 is right. The only real way to damage the CPU is to increase it's default voltage. That when things start getting dangerous when overclocking. Otherwise all you will get is a little instability which can be solved by reducing or removing the OC.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
That system in your description is meant for overcloking, you have one of the best closed loop coolers out, a very high end mobo, and a 4770k. In my opinion if you dont overclock that thing you will have wasted your money, a much cheaper system would have performed just as good if you plan to leave it at stock clocks.

Solution

Th3-Hunter333

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

Yeah this man pretty much has it spot on, i have the same cooler in my system running 4.5ghz on a 5820k.

That chip is meant to be overclocked, just dont go insane on the voltage