Question Will I have a bottle neck if I'll upgrade to rtx 3080 and up?

alona.dalidan

Reputable
Sep 26, 2018
Hello, I have rtx 2080 and i7 8700. I want to upgrade to 3080 or more but I'm afraid that my cpu is too weak for that graphics card and might encounter cpu bottleneck. Or will I not? Thanks for answering.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's always a limitation somewhere, and it's game specific. It's not always in the hardware either; the game engine can be a limitation.

Also, upper end RTX 30 is picky about power supplies, so what you currently have and how old it is will need to be taken into consideration; the cost of a new one may force you to step down a tier or 2.

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Reactions: Exploding PSU

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
It depends on how you plan to use it, resolution and target settings with fps.

8700 is a nice cpu and it will easily handle 3080 at 4k high-ultra settings. But at 1440p and obviously at 1080 it's not going to work very well unless you're going to intentionally lock the fps to stabilize cpu performance.
I'm not sure which resolution you run your 2080 at. But at 4k 3080 is not going to be that much faster than 2080 at 1440p. 2080 at 1080p is about the same as 3080 at 1440p. But at this point cpu is going to be quite a limitation in both cases.

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
Honestly, i7-8700 is a very capable CPU. I personally run a 6800XT with a Ryzen 3 1200 at 1080p60 and I don't see any problem (yet). I wouldn't worry about bottleneck if I were in your position.
i7 8700 should be a ton faster than ryzen 3 1200 though.
People perceive bottlenecks differently, if locking fps isn't an issue for you then it's really fine. But some people like to feel that their system is balanced and they can be gpu limited as much as possible, it's just that great feeling that your cpu is happily married to the gpu.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
i7 8700 should be a ton faster than ryzen 3 1200 though.
People perceive bottlenecks differently, if locking fps isn't an issue for you then it's really fine. But some people like to feel that their system is balanced and they can be gpu limited as much as possible, it's just that great feeling that your cpu is happily married to the gpu.

Exactly. What I am saying is "if a R3 1200 can power that level of GPU just fine, then a much more potent i7-8700 should have no problem at all". I personally don't see the problem with a i7-8700 and 3080 pairing, hence me saying "I wouldn't worry about it".

Of course, like everyone said above there's always a bottleneck somewhere, upgrading the CPU might provide better FPS in some games, while in others upgrading the GPU might have the same effect. It's just about picking something that's enough for your needs.

I just don't see any scenario in which that pairing is going to have unsatisfactory performance. The CPU and GPU pair can say their solemn vows and live happily together no problem in my opinion

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
Exactly. What I am saying is "if a R3 1200 can power that level of GPU just fine, then a much more potent i7-8700 should have no problem at all". I personally don't see the problem with a i7-8700 and 3080 pairing, hence me saying "I wouldn't worry about it".

Of course, like everyone said above there's always a bottleneck somewhere, upgrading the CPU might provide better FPS in some games, while in others upgrading the GPU might have the same effect. It's just about picking something that's enough for your needs.

I just don't see any scenario in which that pairing is going to have unsatisfactory performance. The CPU and GPU pair can say their solemn vows and live happily together no problem in my opinion
Again, you're fully right but only if you lock the fps (or run 3080 at 4K or ultrawide). In that scenario absolutely any gpu is fine basically, even 3090 Ti, cpu is just capable whatever card you're pairing with it.

But if you want to see gpu performance unaffected by fps caps, then unfortunately most of the time 3080 is not going to be at 99% at 1440p or below.

TRENDING THREADS