Will I have a bottleneck issue?

Aaron_RT

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
Right now I'm using an i7-6700 paired with a GTX 1070. Got the opportunity (money-wise) to upgrade the components, but I'm not sure about it.
Ok so before throwing away my doubt I want to state that I read that http:// isn't that trust-worthy, and I think I agree. It says that my current CPU-GPU combo is creating a 7% bottleneck, but the games and programs run just fine. Im planning to upgrade to a i7-7700 with a 1080ti, however when I put these into the website it says that the bottleneck would increase to 8%. As I mentioned before, eff this page (right?), I'm sure this combo wouldn't create any bottleneck... (right?).
Note:
i7-7700: $358.18
i7-7700k: $413.11
Should I wait and buy the k? If I overclocked I would have to buy the CPU fan (using the stock fan right now, no problems yet).

Solution
That would be a complete and utter waste of money in my opinion. The 6700 and 7700 perfom exactly the same at the same clock speed, the only advantage kaby lake has is higher clock speeds, speeding close to 400 dollars for a few hundred mhz it not worth it in any way. The 6700 is not going to bottleneck a 1080 ti in any game that I am aware of, if you are getting 100% gpu usage in your games with vsync off you do not have a cpu bottleneck.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
That would be a complete and utter waste of money in my opinion. The 6700 and 7700 perfom exactly the same at the same clock speed, the only advantage kaby lake has is higher clock speeds, speeding close to 400 dollars for a few hundred mhz it not worth it in any way. The 6700 is not going to bottleneck a 1080 ti in any game that I am aware of, if you are getting 100% gpu usage in your games with vsync off you do not have a cpu bottleneck.

Solution

jimmyEatWord

Respectable
Mar 10, 2016
my own experience an i7 would not heat things up and make fans go wild , an i5 does from time to time . it would go smoothly together with your gpu . whatever the games is .. so if you got the money always go for the i7

What resolution are you gaming at? Pending on your monitor, it can be your biggest bottleneck.

Additionally, there will always be a bottleneck somewhere. There is always a weakest link in every system. The 6700 does have a relatively low clock speed compared to a stock 7700k, while a overclocked 7700k blows it out of the water. The 6700 is really not a "gaming" processor. I consider it more of an entry level workstation processor. Most games today do not require a lot of cores or threads, but they respond very well to fast cores. In reality, you will probably get similar performance from a i5 7600k than you would from an i7 6700 in gaming for a much lower cost. If you are wanting to complete other task such as video editing or streaming, then the i5 would not be a good decision.

If you are concerned about a bottleneck with the 1080ti, then I suggest getting a 7700k and a decent cooler. You cannot use a stock cooler on the "k" chip as it requires better cooling. Given the amount of money you are spending on the 1080ti, then you might as well go ahead and get a good processor to pair with it, but dont buy a i7 7700, it is the same as the 6700.

But all of this depends on the resolution you game. If you are gaming at 1080p, then you will be wasting money buying a 1080ti.

TRENDING THREADS