Question will I have a problem with this CPU? (pictures included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2021
hello
recently bought an i5-11600k
when I unboxed it, I noticed there was this broken small section (shown in the pictures)
it doesn't seem to be affecting the brass parts where the pins connect (idk the name)
haven't tested it yet, as Im waiting for the compatible mother board to arrive

do you think if it works, will this broken section be a cause for concern in the future? will it shorten the CPUs life span?

The reason why I havent gone to the store yet its because I have no way to prove that it wasnt me who broke the CPU
I want to know if there's a chance of keeping this one without having to spend weeks discussing with costumer support

thank you

20211006-134815.jpg
20211006-134836.jpg

hello
recently bought an i5-11600k
when I unboxed it, I noticed there was this broken small section (shown in the pictures)
it doesn't seem to be affecting the brass parts where the pins connect (idk the name)
haven't tested it yet, as Im waiting for the compatible mother board to arrive

do you think if it works, will this broken section be a cause for concern in the future? will it shorten the CPUs life span?

The reason why I havent gone to the store yet its because I have no way to prove that it wasnt me who broke the CPU
I want to know if there's a chance of keeping this one without having to spend weeks discussing with costumer support

thank you

20211006-134815.jpg
20211006-134836.jpg
i think it's better to replace it since we may not know what traces it damaged.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Damn, If it were me:
I'd return it right away, CPU's are expensive pc components and you should not use if they are not 100% .

Doesn't matter where the damage came from, the store has to replace with new 100% part.

Then I might also add, looking at your pictures of the damage closer, seems like the damage is only on the wafer and not the crucial die or pins.

Then there is more concerning dirt or some smeer to be seen on the pins witch I'd be more concerned with to clean properly before use.

Last edited:
do you think if it works, will this broken section be a cause for concern in the future?
You have thermal paste smudge over some of contact pads on your cpu.
Is the cpu not new?

Hard to tell, if the dent would impact anything. Doesn't seem significant.
Smudge on contact pads will have impact for sure though.

And don't touch metal contacts on cpu with your fingers. This is delicate electronics. Always be aware of ESD.

There are no traces at the outer edges so no damage has occured in that department. This is just a cosmetic thing. There's no obvious damage to any of the contact points, though as indicated above there is evidence of thermal compound on the pads in the lower left which needs to be removed before placing the CPU in the socket. The socket also needs to be checked, as if you are the one that caused that smudge then it's sure to be all over the socket as well.

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
Replace it you have paid for it, & you haven't damaged it.
It's your right to get good condition-quality product.
Its there duty to give proper quality product to end user.

Maintain proper Bill, Box & other stuff that came with the box.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
'New' is relative. There's a big difference between New to You and New Untampered in the Box. If it's brand spanking new from the shelf of a store, factory sealed and Untampered with by outside forces, you have the right to expect a brand new, unbroken product. It's what you paid for. If you bought 'New, open box' that's entirely different but should still have an unbroken product.

Either way, new is new and should not be busted. Return the cpu and get what you paid for.

Reactions: ssbaraskar99
Status
Not open for further replies.