[SOLVED] Will I have any incompatibility problems with these upgrades?

Porogami

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017
So, for the past 3 or 4 years, I've been rocking the

MOBO: MSI H110M PRO-VH (MS-7996)
PROC: Intel Pentium G4560 @ 3.50ghz
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti 4GB VRAM DUAL FAN
RAM: BLS8G4D240FSB.16FARG Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB PC4-19200 DDR4-2400MHz non-ECC Unbuffered CL16 (16-16-16-39) 288-Pin DIMM 1.2V

So, I've finally saved up enough money to upgrade my processor. However, when I researched further into the matter, I found out that my current motherboard does not support the 9th gen processors. So I am also forced to buy a mobo which does support 9th gen processors. The upgrades I will proceed with will be

With the motherboard, I have two options I can resort to, but I'm not sure which to go for. But I don't really care since I just need a board that can put up with my new processor and my current 1050 Ti.

Either an MSI B365M PRO-VDH or MSI H310M PRO-M2 PLUS Motherboard
And the processor I already bought was the 9th gen, Intel Core i5-9400F. I'm glad I didn't install it yet though, I might have bricked my computer and I will be left with just depression in the end if I ever did so. xd

So my question is, given with the current setup I have and the motherboard and processor I'll be upgrading to, will I have any compatibility issues? Or would it be safe for me to just put all the pieces I have in my current computer to the new motherboard along with the processor, and everything will boot up normally?

Solution
You wouldn't have bricked the motherboard with the 9400. It just wouldn't be recognized, and nothing more.
MANY people have bought 9th gen cpus to install in their 100/200 series mobos, only to find out they weren't compatible.

To your actual question though:
So my question is, given with the current setup I have and the motherboard and processor I'll be upgrading to, will I have any compatibility issues?
Yes and no.
B365 is compatible with the 9400F out of the box. ✅
H310 isn't, and requires a bios update be done while using an 8th gen part. So if no one's done that in advance, the 9400F won't be recognized after you install it. ❌

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You wouldn't have bricked the motherboard with the 9400. It just wouldn't be recognized, and nothing more.
MANY people have bought 9th gen cpus to install in their 100/200 series mobos, only to find out they weren't compatible.

So my question is, given with the current setup I have and the motherboard and processor I'll be upgrading to, will I have any compatibility issues?
Yes and no.
H310 isn't, and requires a bios update be done while using an 8th gen part. So if no one's done that in advance, the 9400F won't be recognized after you install it. ❌

Solution

Porogami

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017

Yes and no.

Thank you for the reply good sir. Alright then, I will just go with the B365 since it is almost the same price in my country. To sum it all up, I'll buy my B365, and put all of my pieces into that new motherboard along with my new Intel Core i5-9400F, correct?