Question will I have to buy a fan header/splitter?

Aug 20, 2019
Hello! I'm not a fan of writing so I'll get to the point. will I need to buy more fan headers/splitters? my motherboard is a B450M-HDV (I'm planning to upgrade soon :))

Lutfij

Titan
B450M-HDV(L2).png

Your board has 2x4pin fan headers and 1x3pin fan header. How many fans are you looking to pair with that board? Also, will they all be PWM fans?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Aug 20, 2019
According to this video review, those fans (3-pack) also come with Deepcool 4-way fan splitter,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x78NWAj_-Bw

Though, if you buy individual fans, you won't get that splitter and here, you'd need to buy additional splitter(s).
For a good fan splitter, i usually suggest Noctua y-splitters (2x in the box and 6 years of warranty),
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-SYC1-Accessory-4-pin-Y-Cables/dp/B00KG8K5CY
Yes, I will be buying it individually, so it doesn't include the splitters. But now can I use the fans without actually buying more splitters..? like the ones that is included in the motherboard?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Your MoBo doesn't come with any fan splitters included. What it does come with are:
  • Quick Installation Guide
  • Support CD
  • I/O Shield
  • 2 x SATA Data Cables
  • 1 x Screw for M.2 Socket

You can use your fans but like i said above, only 3x fans can be connected to MoBo including CPU cooler.
In layman's terms:
CPU_FAN header -> CPU cooler (AMD's stock cooler)
SYS_FAN1 header -> 1x Deepcool RF 120r case fan
SYS_FAN2 header -> 1x Deepcool RF 120r case fan

Also, if you're thinking that you can pass by without using CPU cooler, you're greatly mistaken. It takes only mere seconds for CPU to overheat and fry without CPU cooler on it. Btw, the Ryzen CPU you're planning to go with does come with CPU cooler and it's fan does need the CPU_FAN header to operate, leaving 2x fan headers for case fans.

With 2x Noctua Y-splitters i linked above, you can easily set up your fans like so:
CPU_FAN header -> CPU cooler (AMD's stock cooler)
SYS_FAN1 header -> Noctua Y-splitter -> 2x Deepcool RF 120r case fans
SYS_FAN2 header -> Noctua Y-splitter -> 2x Deepcool RF 120r case fans

TRENDING THREADS