[SOLVED] Will I have to purchase a new PSU to power my GPU?

wildjake4

Honorable
Oct 23, 2017
So I just bought an MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio, and it only just came to me, that there was a chance my PSU wouldn't have the required cables to power the GPU. I have a Coolermaster 700w MPX-7001-ACABW, which has four 6+2 PCI-E connectors. Will that work with the required slots on the GPU? I'm not very experienced in that realm, as I always had my PC built for me, but now I'm trying to work on it myself. So if you could explain it in simpleton terms for me, that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! If it matters, my other specs include the following (I know I'll probably bottleneck the GPU slightly, which I'll fix in the future, but it's a WIP, I'm not super rich!)

Case: BitFenix Enso Mesh White
CPU: i5 8600 (base clock speed)
RAM: 16GB HyperX Predator (3000Mhz)
Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

Lastly, I have a couple fans mounted into the case, which will hopefully be enough to keep the GPU and all the other components cool.
The last part was really irrelevant to the topic, but might as well make sure I can handle this GPU whilst I'm posting here.

Last edited:
Solution
Your current power supply should be sufficient for your new graphics card. MSI recommends a 650 watt PSU and you have enough of the proper cables for connecting to the graphics card.

-Wolf sends

wildjake4

Honorable
Oct 23, 2017
I had the same problem, i found an extra vga cabel hidden because i didnt use it with my old gpu, try to find that one
Thank you for the response, but this isn't the answer I was looking for, sorry! I'm referring to the cables running from the PSU to the GPU. I have the right cable for my output, my power is what I'm worried about.

Your card needs two 8 pin connectors plus a 6 pin.
The psu has 4 6+2 pin connectors so from that point of view you are ok.

The card will fit in your case.

How well that particular psu can deliver power, I do not know; I think it is not considered to be of top quality.

Reactions: wildjake4

wildjake4

Honorable
Oct 23, 2017
Your card needs two 8 pin connectors plus a 6 pin.
The PSU has 4 6+2 pin connectors so from that point of view you are ok.

The card will fit in your case.

How well that particular PSU can deliver power, I do not know; I think it is not considered to be of top quality.
Yeah, I thought that, I think the next thing I'll have to upgrade will be the PSU. I'm very excited about this card, and I want to make sure I can get the most power out of it, so thank you for the answer!