Will I lose game data?

Stennersaurus

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hi,
I am thinking of upgrading from windows 7 to windows 8.1, but I don't want to lose any of my game data. All of my games are stored on a secondary hard disk, and my OS is stored on an SSD. If I upgraded, will my game saves be ok? I don't mind reinstalling the game, but I just want to make sure my progress is saved for my games.
Thanks,
Sam.

Solution

Hello Sam, My name is Sam TOO :D (Sorry xD)

But you should be fine. Just make sure to back it all up just in case. :)

- Sam

Hello Sam, My name is Sam TOO :D (Sorry xD)

But you should be fine. Just make sure to back it all up just in case. :)

- Sam

Solution

Stennersaurus

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Hi Sam! :')
Thank you very much, will do!
Sam.

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
This depends greatly on the game and where it stores you data. Most typically that would be in your user profile. Some Steam games store this with your Steam account. Others may store in the "ProgramData" folder which is a hidden folder on the C drive. In rare cases it may be even in programs folders. So in answer to you question, it may not be an easy task to save your game stats.

xeshaka

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Depends on the game and platform. If you are using Steam, a lot of games save your data online through steam. Some games store saved data in your documents folder and some have custom locations. If you are really concerned, you should check the games you are most worried about to see where the saved game data is being stored and make sure you have that backed up. But, for most cases it should be fine during the upgrade.