Will I need a new copy of windows 10

Nov 27, 2020
Hi, I’m upgrading my son’s mother board and processor. He currently has an i5-650 and old mother board but updated his power and gpu. He will be updating to Intel Core i5-9600K And a MSI 9th/8th Gen SLI CFX ATX Motherboard. Will we have an issue with booting? This is our first time doing this. Thank you in advance.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi, I’m upgrading my son’s mother board and processor. He currently has an i5-650 and old mother board but updated his power and gpu. He will be updating to Intel Core i5-9600K And a MSI 9th/8th Gen SLI CFX ATX Motherboard. Will we have an issue with booting? This is our first time doing this. Thank you in advance.
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Then, clean install with the new hardware.

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Then, clean install with the new hardware.

But OP was wondering if there would be an issue with booting, not the activation (but that is still something to keep a watch over). Which it wont be an issue, that is what I was getting at.

I've never had an issue swapping either an OEM or manually activated windows drive onto another system with completely different components. Frankly I do it all the time, though I will admit it can cause a rats nest of software bugs, so your method is a clean and proper way of doing things when installing new components, though I am saying the computer will still work just fine.

USAFRet

Titan
But OP was wondering if there would be an issue with booting, not the activation (but that is still something to keep a watch over). Which it wont be an issue, that is what I was getting at.

I've never had an issue swapping either an OEM or manually activated windows drive onto another system with completely different components. Frankly I do it all the time, though I will admit it can cause a rats nest of software bugs, so your method is a clean and proper way of doing things when installing new components, though I am saying the computer will still work just fine.
Both aspects come into play.
Licensing/activation, and simply booting up.

I've had it fail completely upon seeing new hardware. Simply fails to boot up.

Sometime it works, sometimes it fails, sometimes it works...sort of.
Your "rats nest of software bugs" falls into the "sort of" world.

There is no "100% it always works".
I wish it were so, but direct experience tells me otherwise.

And, given the ancient components and probable age of this system...how much old gunk is contained in that existing install?
Don't drag all that gunk into the new system. Start fresh with the new hardware.