[SOLVED] Will I need an upgraded cooler?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Quick question: I will be purchasing the components below in the next week or so. I do not plan on overclocking but will utilize XMP or other available utilities. Use for system will be Lightroom (photo editing), some gaming and general use.

Thanks.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JW44RJ

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC): for OS and apps.
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ B&H): for data
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB FTW2 GAMING iCX Video Card (Purchased For $0.00): overclocked.
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Auria EQ276W 27.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
External Storage: Western Digital My Book 4 TB External Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $738.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-11 07:01 EDT-0400

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
The stock cooler should keep it cool but some do say it can get a little loud so if you want you can get a cheaper cooler like the Cooler master 212 EVO black edition.

Thanks for the reply....as it turns out I have that cooler (well, its predecessor from about 7 years ago) on my current system. I figured it was so out of date to be not usable.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I guess I will see how the OE cooler performs (monitor CPU Temp) and if it seems to climb up, then take action.

I was hoping that I would be good, as I invested in what I thought was a pretty good case.

Thanks!

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
It wont be able to be mounted on am4 if its really old.

The stock cooler will not throttle the CPU

"The stock cooler will not throttle the CPU"

So what would the result be if the stock cooler isn't effective enough for sufficient cooling?......the temp will just continue to rise?

Bottom line, I am looking to determine if I should not even bother with the stock cooler when building the system...given the other system components and intended use.

thanks.

As I see it, you’ve got a pretty serious build, so why not cooling it properly?
The 3700x is very efficient and doesnt need a better cooler than whats included.

High-end air coolers cost less and perform simmilarly to all in one liquid coolers.

Liquid cooling setups can have failed pumps that cause the systen to be unusable.

All liquid coolers can leak and fry hardware.

Liquid cooling does look nice and custom loops may cool better than air coolers tho.

Reactions: AngelTech

Endre

Reputable
The 3700x is very efficient and doesnt need a better cooler than whats included.

High-end air coolers cost less and perform simmilarly to all in one liquid coolers.

Liquid cooling setups can have failed pumps that cause the systen to be unusable.

All liquid coolers can leak and fry hardware.

Liquid cooling does look nice and custom loops may cool better than air coolers tho.

If my cooler will leak and fry up my hardware, that’ll be a good excuse to re-upgrade my system.
😀