[SOLVED] Will I need to remove my stock CPU fan to install an M.2 SSD?

Jan 30, 2021
I’m planning to buy an M.2 SSD (the Samsung 970 EVO Plus) but my motherboard (Gigabyte B250-HD3P) only has one M.2 slot, which is right under my CPU. I’m using a stock Intel CPU fan. Will I need to remove the fan to install the SSD? I know this is probably a stupid question, but I just want to make 1000% sure since this is my first time handling components, and I read that I would also have to reapply thermal paste to my CPU if I remove the fan, and I want to avoid the extra hassle.
Here’s a picture of the M.2 slot:
View: https://imgur.com/a/QBsPfgo

Solution
No,from the picture it looks like you have enough clearance to avoid taking the cooler off.
Repasting the CPU is never a bad idea,when was the last time you repasted your cpu?
You won't need to remove it.
You can slip it right under the clips.

Though, even if you did, it's "best practice" to remove, clean and reapply thermal paste, but not strictly necessary. As long as you only take the cooler off for like a minute and put it back, and the paste doesn't scrape off, it's still the same paste.

Reactions: MHSTG and Dj0gany
Jan 30, 2021
No,from the picture it looks like you have enough clearance to avoid taking the cooler off.
Repasting the CPU is never a bad idea,when was the last time you repasted your cpu?
Thanks a lot! I haven't repasted my CPU in quite a long time, so I should probably do that as well.

Reactions: Dj0gany