[SOLVED] Will i need to remove the thermal paste already on the cpu before i apply new thermal paste and its new cooler

michael Q

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
So i had a bit of an accident on the install of my new CPU on monday which led to it having to be taken out and handled after placing the heatsink/thermal paste on the CPU and as a result now that its sorted most of the thermal paste was taken off by accident so to remedy this and lower the temp as its running a bit hot i've ordered a better cpu cooler than the stock and some good thermal paste, since whats left of the "old" thermal paste has only been in a few days and most of it was likely taken off will i need to clean it off the cpu before i apply the new paste/heatsink?

Last edited:
Solution
hi, everytime u removing heatsink from cpu, u have to clean old paste, otherwise ull get some air pockets which doesnt transfer heat that much.
if u get new cooler it should have thermal paste included, sometimes already preapplied on heatsink
if theres one, u can clean it aswell if u got some better paste
hi, everytime u removing heatsink from cpu, u have to clean old paste, otherwise ull get some air pockets which doesnt transfer heat that much.
if u get new cooler it should have thermal paste included, sometimes already preapplied on heatsink

Solution

michael Q

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
i have some "sanicloth 70% isopropyl alcohol wipes" :https://pdihc.com/global/products/environment-of-care/sani-cloth-70/

Will these be fine to clean the old paste off?

itsdigger

Reputable
Jan 11, 2018
Yes! Clean it first but, I think you should know that when connected to an AMD AM4 processor, after unscrewing this cooler from the mount, you should give it a twist so as not to pull the CPU from the MB socket as well.....

Reactions: Krotow and SamirD
when connected to an AMD AM4 processor, after unscrewing this cooler from the mount, you should give it a twist so as not to pull the CPU from the MB socket as well.....

Yes, AM4 socket CPUs if used very hot (80-85C), evaporate moist from paste and literally glue themselves to cooler. A little know-how here. You can turn computer on before cooler removal and run something which will heat CPU up to hot temperature. Then turn computer off and remove cooler while CPU is still warm. As @itsdigger said, twist cooler slightly without applying force and not pull. Only when you feel that cooler moves freely, pull it.

After rubbing old paste away from cooler and CPU wipe last remains from surfaces with dry paper towel without applying force. And don't allow old paste remains going below CPU into pins. This is why old paste cleaning is better to do while CPU is still in socket. Before isopropyl remove old paste remains with paper towel to avoid seeping them under CPU later.