[SOLVED] Will I need to replace RAM if I upgrade CPU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Hi guys,

Do you know if I will need to replace RAM if I keep the same mobo but upgrade CPU? I currently have an Asus Prime B350 Plus with an AMD Ryzen 7 1700. If I upgrade the CPU to an AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, will I need to replace the RAM? Cheers.

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
I'm confused too. 140W makes sense for the 3800X. The 3700X is a lower power part. And I actually owned the CPU and monitored it more or less extensively

I mean, I'm open to someone posting something that the 3700X can reach a sustained power draw of 140W without serious hackery.

EDIT: Actually "owned" is incorrect, I still have one in another PC. If ya'll want I can go throw Prime95 on it with HWiNFO logging the data.
Thanks for offering but I really don't understand any of it, some people say it's fine, others say no so will just go to a shop. Thanks.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Shops aren't likely to provide any more expertise then the people here. Not really something they are likely to bother checking.

The concern is that the power delivery on your motherboard may be inadequate for the CPU you want to use.

You are going from an older R7 1700 to a 3700x, both 8 cores, both with TDPs of 65W. However, that is really just to tell you how big the CPU heatsink needs to be.

The system takes incoming power from the outlet, that gets converted to 12V by the PUS, but your CPU runs on something closer to 1V, so the motherboard has Voltage Regulation Modules to convert 12V to 1 volts. They generate heat while doing this, if they get above 105C or so, the computer is likely to shut down. Since your board has no heatsinks covering the chips that do this, they will overheat more quickly.

Now that hasn't been a problem up until now, so I think it will probably be alright with the newer CPU.

The argument here was how much power that particular CPU draws, and it will exceed the TDP of 65W under a full load, looks to be about 90W like some were saying. This is probably still well within the board's capabilities for short durations. Gaming and the like is not usually close to 100% load.

Simple solution would be to point a fan directly at the area around the CPU, this should take care of it.

Reactions: OnlyAlex
Thanks for offering but I really don't understand any of it, some people say it's fine, others say no so will just go to a shop. Thanks.
I'm going off assumptions but people are concerned that the Ryzen 3700X can draw up to 140W. However they're not specifying if this is a spike in power consumption (as in, it happens for a fraction of a second) or sustained power consumption (as in, if you let it run to infinity, it averages out to 140W).

The reason why this is a concern is your motherboard's CPU power delivery circuit (the "VRM") may not be built well enough to handle 140W of sustained load. However, the reviews that I'm seeing that tested the CPU in isolation (i.e., only the CPU's power draw) tells me the 3700X has a sustained power draw of around 90W. In comparison, at least from Tom's Hardware, the Ryzen 1700 has a sustained maximum power draw of 80W. You can go try running Prime 95 for 30 minutes and see if it's happy, but either way, I'm not seeing a problem here throwing a 3700X on a board when you had a 1700 that ran just fine.

However, at the end of the day, power spikes are of little concern if they're not frequent and they're very short. It's the sustained power draw that's more concerning.

Reactions: OnlyAlex

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Shops aren't likely to provide any more expertise then the people here. Not really something they are likely to bother checking.

The concern is that the power delivery on your motherboard may be inadequate for the CPU you want to use.

You are going from an older R7 1700 to a 3700x, both 8 cores, both with TDPs of 65W. However, that is really just to tell you how big the CPU heatsink needs to be.

The system takes incoming power from the outlet, that gets converted to 12V by the PUS, but your CPU runs on something closer to 1V, so the motherboard has Voltage Regulation Modules to convert 12V to 1 volts. They generate heat while doing this, if they get above 105C or so, the computer is likely to shut down. Since your board has no heatsinks covering the chips that do this, they will overheat more quickly.

Now that hasn't been a problem up until now, so I think it will probably be alright with the newer CPU.

The argument here was how much power that particular CPU draws, and it will exceed the TDP of 65W under a full load, looks to be about 90W like some were saying. This is probably still well within the board's capabilities for short durations. Gaming and the like is not usually close to 100% load.

Simple solution would be to point a fan directly at the area around the CPU, this should take care of it.
I'm going off assumptions but people are concerned that the Ryzen 3700X can draw up to 140W. However they're not specifying if this is a spike in power consumption (as in, it happens for a fraction of a second) or sustained power consumption (as in, if you let it run to infinity, it averages out to 140W).

The reason why this is a concern is your motherboard's CPU power delivery circuit (the "VRM") may not be built well enough to handle 140W of sustained load. However, the reviews that I'm seeing that tested the CPU in isolation (i.e., only the CPU's power draw) tells me the 3700X has a sustained power draw of around 90W. In comparison, at least from Tom's Hardware, the Ryzen 1700 has a sustained maximum power draw of 80W. You can go try running Prime 95 for 30 minutes and see if it's happy, but either way, I'm not seeing a problem here throwing a 3700X on a board when you had a 1700 that ran just fine.

However, at the end of the day, power spikes are of little concern if they're not frequent and they're very short. It's the sustained power draw that's more concerning.

Thanks both.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRaZ2Txv13M
- this video at 5:09 shows the 3700x paired with Asus Prime B350 mobo and the VRM is perfectly safe when stress tested according to the guy? He owns both, tested it. Am I missing something here? Cheers for the help.

OnlyAlex

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
I'm confused too. 140W makes sense for the 3800X. The 3700X is a lower power part. And I actually owned the CPU and monitored it more or less extensively

I mean, I'm open to someone posting something that the 3700X can reach a sustained power draw of 140W without serious hackery.

EDIT: Actually "owned" is incorrect, I still have one in another PC. If ya'll want I can go throw Prime95 on it with HWiNFO logging the data.
That would be really helpful, if you don't mind? :)

TRENDING THREADS