Will i need to upgrade my motherboard (and by extension my CPU) to use a newer card.

Sep 3, 2018
I have a P9X79 PRO motherboard with an asus gtx 670 and am looking to upgrade the graphics card very soon, I was wondering if i needed a hardware change to use a gtx 1080/Ti or one of the new RTX cards? Thanks for any help.

Sep 3, 2018

Great stuff, thank you. Built the thing in 2012 with a 3930k and hadn't really kept up with what is new so didn't know if anything had changed in regards to connectivity (pci-e etc). Thanks again.

Sep 3, 2018

Yeah I knew the chip was still fairly strong, never overclocked it either so still got some wiggle room. Read a thing that said the chip didn't support pci-e 3.0 , at least officially, is that true and would it make a difference if it were limited to 2.0?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The CPU supports PCIe 3.0, as does the motherboard. Early users of X79 boards reported some issues, but if I remember correctly, there was a patch that fixed it. And later BIOS updates. And it only happened with some X79 boards.
In the case of your board, the early 0906 BIOS had a PCIe 3.0 enhancement that may have been the fix. I suspect as long as you have a late/the latest BIOS, you're good.

Sep 3, 2018
Excellent, that's pretty much all my worries about upgrading put to rest as i did the bios update a while ago and there hasn't been a new one since. You've been great thank you.