Question Will i need to upgrade my Oculus Quest 2 ?

Ashley Knott

Reputable
May 5, 2020
Hi all.

I was wondering will I ever need to upgrade my Oculus Quest 2.
I use it for virtual desktop so i can play my PC VR Games and since its my PC doing the work will i actually need to upgrade my headset?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi all.

I was wondering will I ever need to upgrade my Oculus Quest 2.
I use it for virtual desktop so i can play my PC VR Games and since its my PC doing the work will i actually need to upgrade my headset?

Thanks in advance :)

This question is fairly vague, so I can only give you a vague answer.
No, you will never really need to upgrade because you don't really need VR in the first place.

VR headset technology will continue to advance, and the quest 2 is already behind in terms of hardware compared to other existing options. So, there would already be benefits to upgrading your quest 2, but how much do you value those upgrades?

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor
VR headset technology will continue to advance, and the quest 2 is already behind in terms of hardware compared to other existing options

Hmmm. This isn't true. The Quest 2 is probably one of the better stand alone headsets out there, with the beneft of being able to use PC hardware by Airlink/Cable to game fully on PC titles. It has the latest XR2 CPU which is powering nearly all of todays better headsets and even Pimax Next Gen also uses it. Whilst there may be some headsets with better resolutions, the Quest 2 is right up there in terms of everything else.

Hmmm. This isn't true. The Quest 2 is probably one of the better stand alone headsets out there, with the beneft of being able to use PC hardware by Airlink/Cable to game fully on PC titles. It has the latest XR2 CPU which is powering nearly all of todays better headsets and even Pimax Next Gen also uses it. Whilst there may be some headsets with better resolutions, the Quest 2 is right up there in terms of everything else.

I'm not comparing only standalone VR headsets, my comment was regarding all options.
There are indeed already existing VR headsets that can provide a better experience than the quest 2.
The question is how much those differences are valued.

I'm not comparing only standalone VR headsets, my comment was regarding all options.
There are indeed already existing VR headsets that can provide a better experience than the quest 2.
The question is how much those differences are valued.

Well, yes in that case there are some better headsets. In terms of general availablility right now, there are 3 popular headsets that use the same tech. Suggesting it's already way behind is inaccurate.

Would agree though, that newer features are advancing all of the time. For example, the new Quest Pro willl have advanced avatar features including face/eye tracking among other things. I don't think those kinds of things will really impact the gaming side just yet though. Unless you're sitting in a room chatting with people alot.

So for the OP, I don't think there's any need to upgrade any time soon. Their system is plenty capable of PC VR gaming via Link/Air. Untill it doesn't meet their needs, sticking with what they have is prob a good idea.