Will I need to upgrade to 16 GB RAM for Windows 10?

I've been noticing that Windows 10 is being a memory hog with about 33% higher RAM usage than Windows 8.1. I'm currently running two 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 MHz sticks. For the sake of stability in top-end games, will I need to add another pair of the same model RAM sticks? And I'm wondering if there will be enough clearance for the extra two sticks. If not, then what would be a good low-profile model to use that is either white or blue? I'm upgrading my motherboard and CPU cooler to the following:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Silverstone AR03 81.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK S ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($264.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $309.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-08 08:47 EDT-0400

USAFRet

Titan
I'm not seeing Win 10 using more RAM than 8.1 I have it running on an old laptop with 2GB RAM.

More RAM can't hurt, though. But it really, really needs to be a matched set. No guarantees that another 2 sticks will work, even if they are the same model.

USAFRet

Titan

It depends. What applications are sucking up your RAM?

USAFRet

Titan

On my cheapo 2GB system, idling is 51%. Opening Edge brings that up to 59%.
On my 4GB HTPC, idles around 40%. Opening Edge brings that up to 47%.

So I updated Kaspersky to the new build and RAM usage improved slightly. Malwarebytes, however, is chomping up a lot of memory. I disabled Malwarebytes and my RAM usage is now cut down to about 28% on idle. Since I have Kaspersky Total Security, is it really necessary to keep Malwarebytes?

USAFRet

Titan

So it's not Windows 10, but your applications.
It's good to have, but not as a continuously running application. Run that on demand.

USAFRet

Titan

Correct. Running both at the same time may cause some weird file locking if both were trying to scan the same file at the same time.
Say if you just downloaded some application install file.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Will depend on you and how unsafe you surf. If you're careful and know a thing or two it wont matter too much you can still do a malware scan from time to time and let Kaspersky do most of the work along with using popup blocks in your browser will also help prevent malware.

OK, thanks. I'll keep Malwarebytes off and run a scan with it on a daily basis. At least until that gets updated. If memory usage eventually gets to be a problem for high-end games, virtual operating systems, and video editing, then I'll look into getting a 2x8GB DDR3 1866 MHz RAM kit. I may run my current RAM sticks with that and overclock them to 1866 MHz for 24 GB of total system RAM. If that does not work, then I'll sell my old RAM kit and stick with the new 2x8 GB RAM kit.

USAFRet

Titan

On my 4GB HTPC, with TeamViewer and AV running, I'm seeing RAM at 29-30%.

There are a couple of factors which will bring about the need for more RAM. Samsung Rapid Mode for my new SSD which will use system RAM as cache and future video editing and movie creation projects. So for that price, I think it's safe to say that it's worth a buy. I'll take that into consideration. Reviews state that 1866 MHz is detected out of the box without tweaking any BIOS settings, so it looks great. I'm looking into building a cheap general-purpose Micro ATX PC using older components, such as my previous mATX motherboard, as a Christmas gift, so if I get the new RAM kit, then all I'll need is a CPU (Pentium G3258), hard drive, and case to build that.

I enabled Samsung Rapid Mode using Process Hacker 2. Now, even with Malwarebytes not running and Bitdefender free active, I get this on idle:

PWVT5TL.jpg

At this rate, a game like GTA V will likely max out 8 GB RAM. In that case, my RAM will bottleneck the system. So yes, I'm picking up that 16 GB RAM kit and will install it very soon.

TRENDING THREADS